First Film Comment

Here’s the sample film comment I had promised. It is meant to serve as a model. Your comment should be about the same length as mine. Notice that I’ve been specific about what I liked and disliked about the film. I have also provided some background information. Remember that your comment can be on any film of your choice, it can be an answer to my own evaluation of the movie, or to a fellow classmate’s comment. The important thing is that you support your opinion with arguments, that it be your own (not copied from another source) and that it be lengthy enough to merit the 25 points for the activity. Be aware that our blog is public and that anyone in the cyberworld can read what we write. So check your work for spelling and grammar mistakes before you place it in the blog. I recommend that you write your draft in a Word document and then copy and paste unto the blog instead of writing your comment directly unto the blog. In this way you have a backup copy of your work in case accidents happen. Also remember that you will probably not see your comment immediately after you submit it. This is because I have to approve it. After I do this, you will be able to see what you wrote. This will take some time since I usually check my mail in the morning.

Somehow it’s difficult to surmise that this obnoxious character, Mark Zuckerberg in The Social Network, created the highly successful Facebook. If the purpose of the initial dialogue by Mark and his girlfriend Erica was meant to annoy the viewer, it achieved its purpose. I felt like turning off the film at that very moment. However, since this is probably one of the films that will be nominated for the Oscars, I decided to be patient and give the film a chance. From the beginning the film establishes some of its main themes through that initial irritating conversation. Issues of class and power, who belongs, who has social skills, and how you deal with success surface from the beginning.

The main character, Mark Zuckerberg, a Harvard student who got a perfect score on his SATS, is obsessed by his desire to belong to the prestigious fraternity Porcellain.  He knows that being from a wealthy family will not get you into this exclusive group. So he wants to do something special that will prompt the fraternity to invite him to be a member. During the course of the initial conversation, Mark angers Erica and she breaks up with him. Because he is angry at Erica, he first blogs nasty information about her and then hacks the university’s profiles, takes all the girls photographs and asks guys to rate their hotness. The page he created receives  22,000 hits within two hours and causes quite a commotion within the Harvard community. It also calls the attention of the Porcellain fraternity who ask him to become part of their group to help them create a social network similar to My Space. His dream achieved, Zuckerberg fools them into believing he will help, but develops what we now know as Facebook. And this is where the story really begins.

The film combines the hearings of Zuckerberg’s case with vignettes of what supposedly had happened in flashbacks. Mark Zuckerberg, as played by Jesse Eisenberg, is disagreeable, arrogant, unregretful about any of his actions, and it seems unprincipled. This character is remorseless and for me had no redeeming qualities. Except maybe for Eduardo (Andrew Garfield), none of the characters in this story is likable. In fact they are all, in my opinion, despicable. On a personal level, they represent everything that is wrong in this world. I’m sorry if I offend-but I hate fraternities and the misuse and abuse of power. I have always felt that with great wealth and power, comes great responsibility. None of these characters are worried by their responsibility as citizens; they are just greedy.

Well, the question is Do I recommend this film? I certainly do. It is too long and dialogue driven so maybe this is not a film for those who like action. Though, it made me angry and made me question having my Facebook account.  It tells a great story. The fact that it angered me was precisely the film’s objective. It exposes the greed and immorality of our times and the superficiality of our relations with others.

33 thoughts on “First Film Comment

1. The film Nymphomaniac, in which is divided into 2 volumes is an incredible sensitive and heartbreaking movie. Its about the life of this woman named Joe, who struggles with a sex addiction. The movie begins with Joe telling her life story who an old man who has found her beaten on the street. The irony of this is that while this woman tells her story about being addicted to sex this old man is a virgin, making him fully interested in her life story. The film then continues with Joe as only a young child and starting to experimenting with the addiction. The movie slowly starts to show more scenes as Joe as a teenager, it shows that she and her friends had formed some kind of club to excuse themselves with the sexual behaviors that they were engaging. Joe struggles a lot with her addiction all of her life unable to maintain a healthy relationship. During the film she does met a man, the character played by Shia LaBeouf in which the fall in love thus ending the first volume. The second volume continues her with this character and her difficulty to maintain just one man. Joe eventually seeks the help she need by joining addicts anonymous and trying to defeat her addiction, but things just continue. Joe also takes an interest in a young woman who she had taken under her wing making the film only just more interesting. This film is not the typical drama movie that we all watch, it shows what this woman is really going through and what suffering she has faced.

2. “Love has no gender, take whoever loves you”. This is a very beautiful quote by my favorite film Blue is the warmest color directed by Abdellatif Kechiche. This film and the lead actresses won the prestigious award palme d’or at the cannes film festival. It’s based on a french graphic novel by Julie Maroh. The story revolves around Adèle, a charming french teenager who begins to discover herself when a blue haired aspiring artist named Emma enters her life. Everything changes the moment they meet. It’s a coming of age film and it basically shows Adèle in her transition to adulthood, growing up, making mistakes and finding herself.

Production began in March and lasted six months. Approximately 800 hours of footage was shot, including extensive B-roll footage, with Kechiche ultimately trimming the final cut of the film down to 179 minutes.The film generated controversy upon its premiere at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival and before its release. Much of the controversy was centred around claims of poor working conditions on set by the crew and the lead actresses, and also the film’s raw depiction of sexuality.

This Film is my personal favorite because it shows very raw, beautiful and realistic performances. Also it shows another side of love and sexuality that not a lot of people understand. I consider this film to be the greatest love story of the 21th century in my opinion. The cinematography, the dialogue, the story, the simbolism in the colors, basically all of the little details combined make this film perfect. Not to mention how much this film changed my perspective of sexuality, it breaks a lot of stereotypes that society has of women, love and as I mentioned before, sexuality.

3. In a game of seduction, there is only one rule… Never fall in love.

That is what Cruel Intentions (1999) is about. How can you not fall in love with the innocence of Annette Hargrove (Reese Witherspoon, the charm and persona of Sebastian Valmont (Ryan Phillips). But what about the vixen Kathryn Merteuil (Sarah Michelle Gellar)? Such an amazing cast, not to mention Selma Blair, Joshua Jackson, etc.

The story revolves around Sebastian who’s known as an unprincipled seducer who “has never uttered a single word without dishonorable intentions.’’ While his step-sister Kathryn a minx who’s angered when her current boyfriend dumps her for the sweeter Cecile, and in revenge she urges Sebastian to conquer Cecile and destroy her reputation. Agreed, says Sebastian, but soon he finds a greater challenge–the virginal Annette, daughter of the new headmaster at their expensive school. She’s written an article for Seventeen magazine praising premarital virginity, and Sebastian bets Kathryn he can deflower her. The wager: If he loses, his stepsister gets his classic sports car. If he wins, he gets his stepsister. Sebastian pulls heartstrings, tells lies and employs devious seductive strategies, and the movie is startling in its frank language and forthright approach to sex.

The movie’s at its best in the scenes between Gellar and Phillippe, who develop a convincing emotional charge, and whose wickedness seems to work as a sexual stimulant. There’s one scene where she persuades him, emotionally and physically, to do what she wants, and we are reminded that slow, subtle eroticism is after all possible in the movies–even though recently it has been replaced by calisthenics. Gellar is effective as a bright girl who knows exactly how to use her act as a tramp, and Phillippe seems cold and detached enough to make it interesting when he finally gets skewered by the arrow of true love.

The best parts of the movie allow us to see how good it might all have been, with a little more care. It steps wrong in three ways. The first is with the ending, which lacks the courage to take the story to its logical conclusion, and instead contrives a series of moralistic payoffs that are false and boring. The second is with the treatment of some gay characters; surely kids as sophisticated as those in this story would be less homophobic? The third is with the use of a black character (Sean Patrick Thomas), Cecile’s cello instructor, whose race is uneasily employed in awkwardly written scenes.

4. Directed by Robert Zemeckis , this Academy Award for Best Picture film, is one of my favorite films of all times. Starting Tom Hanks. Forrest Gump, one of the best movies of the 2oth century on my opinion is about the life of a fictional character named Forrest. This film was nominated in more than 20 different awards including: best actor, best sound editing, Golden Globe award for best screenplay, etc.

This 1995 comedy- drama film is about this fictional character named Forrest Gump. When he was little he had problems with his legs, but somehow came to be one of the fastest football players on college. He also went to the Vietnam War and won the Medal of Honor for saving his entire platoon after some friendly fire of napalm bombs was thrown at them. After he was out of service because of a bullet wound on his back, he started playing Ping-Pong for the US military, he was so good that he represented the United States Olympic team and won a medal. He got to meet two presidents and was a public figure. I don’t want to go to a lot of details because I don’t want to spoil you this great film.

This is one of my all time favorite films because its goes great with the history. It covers almost all of the mayor events of the 20th century as if he was in all of them. Also I love how a boy with no hope, bullied by everyone when he was young became one of the most successful entrepreneurs on the United States (in the movie). How the film is edited (spoiler alert) when he meets the presidents is one of the best editions I’ve seen on a movie.

Overall this is a great film not only because it was nominated more than 20 times but also because you never get bored in the two and a half hours long movie. It tells you that everything is possible no matter who you are or where you came from. You just need to believe in yourself. I highly recommend this film to everyone; trust me, you will enjoy it.

5. When I first heard of this movie I never taught it would have such a powerful effect in me. Requiem for a dream realized in theaters on 2000 had an impact worldwide because of its horror way of presenting an awareness. Directed by Darren Aronosfky, who has been nominated throughout his career in numerous of awards. Although not been a new film to this day it still has a message of how drug abuses could get really deep. It portrays the lives of four drug users each one with its story. Presenting us how they get in a point of abuse and the consequences they have. The excellent presentation of the movie showed us as if we were one of them. If we were suffering with them every consequences they had because of their actions.
    To this day for me one of the actors that has persist acting in good movies is Jared Leto. In this film he showed emotions of a true human being suffering of even trying to help his own mother. At the start of the movie he is presented as the “cool guy” who is adventurous, free, and is always with his best friend and girlfriend doing drugs. When him and his best friend started selling them and making fortunes his ambition started to a point he lost everything.
    But the true artist of the movie was Ellen Burstyn, acting as the mother of Jared Leto. A lonely elderly women who is a widow. When her son gives her a tv set she finds an obsession in calling her favorite show to win a competition of appearing in it. Then she goes to a medical assistance prescribing her pills to lose weight and look good in the program. As the movie passes she shows her best acting skills beginning to show an insane effect. Giving us a message that not only illegal pills could affect a human being to the point of madness.
    The other actors showed similar horror consequences. Getting into prostitution or getting into prison were one of the things they had to live with. I would highly recommend this film to everyone that wants to learn more of the real life effects of drugs. By seeing this movie you could tell is a presentation of an artwork presenting all the tragedy a human being could do to himself by getting in an addiction.

6. Frances Ha

This film follows the story of Frances Halliday, a 27 year old dancer apprentice, who lives in New York with her friend Sophie. Frances and Sophie had known each other since college and have a very close friendship; they even share the bed. One day, Sophie decides to move in with her boyfriend, which triggers in Frances the need to take responsibility of her own future.

Frances is played by actress Greta Gerwig, and achieves very well to display her character’s optimistic, innocent, and adolescent personality, so we get to understand and sympathize with Frances’s authentic and pure feeling towards life. Greta Gerwig’s naturalness and freshness makes her the perfect eternal teenager.

There is something peculiar about Frances Ha and the way director Noah Buambach tells us the story. The film is in black and white, and it doesn’t really follow the usual narrative development; it follows a very rhythmic narration of scenes, simultaneously funny and embarrassing, that captures Frances’s essence as she struggles with adulthood.

Overall, I think Frances Ha is a good film. It’s beautifully made and it focuses on mayor aspects of our lives such as: adulthood and friendship. Is a story that talks about the fear of growing up, and the hope of holding on to the past; something we all share at a point. So, if you are soon to be an adult who might feel misdirected in life, watch Frances Ha, It’s on Netflix.

7. -Marley and Me:

The main conflict in the film is when Marley, a Labrador, begins to feel ill. John Grogan, his owner, decides to take him to the veterinarian to get a medical check. It results that he was suffering of a stomach flipped syndrome which is a complicated disease to treat at an advanced age. This film shows the importance of the relationships between a family and an animal, and teach us to appreciate even more our loved ones and enjoy life to the fullest. I notice that at the beginning of the film, John was scared by the idea of having a child, therefore, he accepted to have a dog, which a friend of his suggested so he can have a taste of what is like to have a child. This new acquisition led to great adventures and a completely drastic change in their lives, because after having the dog they had three children which creates chaos in the house, because, Marley, had a playful soul and destroys everything that gets in his way. The film has three main characters: John, Jenny, the wife and Marley, the dog.

Marley & Me is the story of the life of John Grogan, a young journalist who along with his wife, Jenny, decided to start a new adventure together. They move to West Palm Beach in Florida and begin the project of building his family. John wasn’t sure with the idea of being father, so he gifted a dog to his wife. Then they had three children. The family suffers of economic destabilization, so they thought about getting rid of the dog, but John doesn’t want to. The Grogans move out and take the dog with them too. The dog grows every day and becomes a disaster, however the whole family started to love Marley after several years.

Marley is already an adult, the children are growing and apparently all was going well, until one day Marley got lost on a rainy night, they all imagined that the dog was never going to come back, but John found it the next day under a tree. John thought he felt bad and all he did was take him home and feed him, but Marley didn’t show any changes in his mood. Perceiving that the dog wasn’t responding to anything, Jenny and the kids started suspecting that Marley wasn’t going to get better, so John takes him to the veterinarian for an examination.

The results were bad news. Marley was diagnosed with the upset stomach syndrome and he was to old to handle the disease, the only solution was to putting Marley to sleep. John knowing this decides to call his wife to see what they will do about it. John stays all night with Marley in the hospital to take care of him. Marley didn’t show any signs of progress, so he decided to tell the vet to put him to sleep so he wouldn’t suffer anymore.

We can find the establishment scene at the beginning of the film when John decided to adopt Marley as part of their family instead of having a child, since he wasn’t prepared enough to have a kid. That’s when they realize how difficult it is to keep a dog and the attention that it requires. The scene of the confrontation is at the half of the film, Marley got lost and no one knows where he is, John then found him lying under a tree, which makes him think that he might feel sad and feeds him. But he notice that his mood didn’t change, so he takes him to the vet to see what is happening. They find that the only solution for this is to put him to sleep because he was at a very advanced age. The resolution scene is the last part of the movie when John after seeing that there is no progress decides to put him to sleep. The family suffers a lot this loss, but they remember the happy times they spent together.

The narrative structure of the film is linear. This structure could be translated as: A, B, C, …., and so on. The film is presenting the events in chronological order. We can see that they use warm and bright colors such as brown, blue, yellow, white, cream, etc in the photography of the film. The scenery goes with the environment, because they wanted to create for example: when they were at home or at the workplace, they used a lot of props based on the subject.

8. Me Before You (2016)
    Me Before You took my breath away every single second in all the scenes. The love story of Louisa Clark and Will Traynor blew my mind away. One of the things that make me love this movie so much is all the mixed emotions that the main characters had. In addition, the way the characters fell in love was simply amazing and beautiful. Louisa Clark at twenty-six years old still lives with her working class parents. Also, she was a girl that did not have studies nor ambitions. After losing her job, she went to the job center and they offered her a one and only opportunity of making good money without having that much qualifications. Her job was to take care of Will Traynor because he suffered an accident that left him quadriplegic. Will, on the other hand, was a rich man who had a lot of ambitions and was highly successful. Throughout this film comment, I will tell you a summary of the movie, how they fell in love, things that I liked, and things I disliked.
    As I mentioned before, Louisa Clark lost her job and she was searching for a new one. That’s when she was given the opportunity of working with the Traynor family. A motorcycle ran over Will Traynor and left with quadriplegic. Louisa’s job was to take care of Will. Will and his parents made a job that if in six months he doesn’t get any better, he will fly to Switzerland to a suicide organization to end his life. When Louisa found out that he wanted to end his life, she tried everything possible to make him change his mind. Their relationship starts a little bit tense at first since Will had an awful attitude because he was disabled. After a few days it got miles better. They started to share a lot of similarities. Without them realizing, they started to fall in love. Louisa decided to take Will to a horse race one day and they had a great time. Days later, she took him to a classical music concert. By that time, you could see both were already in love. Louisa thought that she was changing Will’s mind to not commit suicide, but she was not. They took a trip to the island of Mauritius located in the Indian Ocean. This is the part were the movie took a sudden twist. Will confessed to Louisa that he wanted her to come with him to Switzerland to the suicide organization so they were together when he died. Louisa did not take that to nicely. Her heart was broken and she could not stop crying. Will was trying to explain to her that it was hard for him to assimilate that he wanted to do things with her and he couldn’t because of his illness. He could not live with that for the rest of his life. Everything Will wanted was that Louisa lived her life without having him holding her back. He wanted Louisa to enjoy her life with someone that could make her happy. Few days later, Will flew to Switzerland and Louisa surprised him. They were together laying in bed until Will died.
    I enjoyed a lot of the things that happened in the movie. The way they fell in love was truly romantic and realistic. In addition, how they treated each other was truly inspiring. The movie shows us that you can fall in love unexpectedly without knowing. The only thing I did not like was the fact that he chose to die. On the other hand, I loved the twist that the movie had. The most important question is, would I recommend this movie? I highly recommend it! Just be prepared to cry a lot.

9. Never back down (2008)

This film, never back down, is one of my favorite movies because of the message it portraits. The protagonist of this movie goes to different stages in his life that are good and bad were he faced one of the most important problems that must be dealt with in our society, that is bullying. The cast of this movie has great actors who are composed by: Sean Faris, the protagonist, and Amber Hear, his girlfriend. The most important message that this movie tells is to never quit, trust yourself and to never back down from a bully.

This movie is about a family that moves from Iowa to Orlando, Jake Tyler the protagonist tries to fit in in a group of people but it doesn’t end well. The protagonist gets beat down by the antagonist; a guy that is a bully at a party of the school. The protagonist gets embarrassed and started getting MMA lessons to have revenge against the other guy that humiliated him in front of everybody. Jake falls in loved with a girl named Baja miller that also didn’t felt good being herself with all the people they spend time with. Both of them understood themselves and fell in love together. After Jake trained for weeks he finally beats the bully at a brawl tournament and had his revenge that he always wanted to humiliate him in front of everybody like Jake Tyler was in the beginning.

I highly recommend this movie because it motivates you to succeed in a problem that may bring you down; but the true meaning of the movie is that if you get knocked down you have to work hard to get back up and be successful. No matter the bad or good times you pass in life you have to trust yourself and never quit in something that you started and if you believe that you can achieve it then go ahead and make it happen. After watching this movie you want to face any problem you have and try to overcome it by making all your effort of the situation.

10. A Beautiful Mind

A movie directed by Ron Howard and written by Akiva Goldsman. It starts in 1947, as John Nash (Russell Crowe) a young gifted scholar mathematician from West Virginia who won the Carneige scholarship and studied in Princeton University, Massachusetts. John is a bright thinker but with poor social skills, however in Princeton he meets Charles Herman who becomes his roommate and best friend. In his years in Princeton he worked on an original idea for his thesis, unlike his classmates who only published updates of already made original thesis from other known mathematicians. After years of struggling searching for an innovative idea he finally comes up with an original economic theory that gives him high qualifications in the work industry he aspired.

Later in 1953 he got a job as a teacher and researcher in Wheeler Laboratories. There he had secret contracts with the Pentagon, they used John to break down possible Russian military codes at the beginning of the cold war. During that time he met William Archer from the Department of Defense, this man made John a North American “spy”. At that time he also met the love of his life Alicia Larde a bright student in one of his classes, and Marcee who is Charles’ nephew whose parents died accidentally. By this time John had experienced violent events as an undercover spy which made him increasingly paranoid and delirious, this affected his marriage with Alicia and his relationships with people.

It got so bad that Alicia saw herself forced to call a psychiatrist to understand what was happening to her husband’s unusual behavior. The psychiatrist Dr. Rosenberg after taking him in custody realizes that John suffers from schizophrenia which made him delirious. After John “accepting” his condition he passed through very harsh treatments using electric shocks and pills. This status went for years making his and hers life almost miserable. When he learned to control his delusions without treatment he began to teach at Princeton, and later in 1994 was awarded with the Nobel Prize for economics.

11. Interstellar
    Christoper Nolans “Interstellar”, is about a former Engineer and NASA Pilot who lives on a Futuristic Version of planet Earth, in which human industrialisation, human’s lack of economical concern and constant global conflict has brought the planet to an environmental tipping-point. Global temperatures and droughts are at an all-time high and the general education systems have been narrowed down to mainly educate farmers, and only very few children are permitted a higher education, in a hope to provide the population with more edibles. Due to the environmental mistreatment, which has caused global soil to become so barren, that the only crops which still yield edibles are genetically-engineered corn.

The movie gives a brief insight into what possible events and conditions could arise around the globe for all of humanity, if humanity does not lift its shroud of obliviousness about the adverse effects that humanity’s careless actions, which are driven by its own voracity, have on the planet that we inhabit.

The plot of the movie is that “Cooper” (Matthew McConaughey) is one of the last people alive with his experience as a NASA pilot. There is a secret NASA organization which he was directed to by coordinates that an apparent “Poltergeist” created through the use of gravity. When they encounter Cooper, who was always obsessed with technology and space, they lay out their plans to him about a project, to explore the Universe for new habitable planets.

And having Cooper appear in the picture, they had an essential missing part of their plan, an individual to pilot the spacecraft. Combined with his obsession for space and the desire to provide a better future for his two children and eventually grandchildren. Against his daughters begging for him to stay, he soon after finds himself in a space station going into hibernation sleep to travel to a light-years distanced Universe.

They “teleport” themselves through a black hole which showed up next to Saturn in the local cluster. And then fly to different planets where space-time continuum becomes relative and changes, which essentially means that 1 hour which passes there, 1 year may have passed back at earth, so the astronauts had to work hand-in-hand for the mission.

This presents another interesting aspect, the logic behind the movie. Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson reviewed the science behind the movie and commented that the entire theory behind the movie is scientifically plausible and not unrealistic even though it is categorized as a Science-Fiction movie.
    This gives the story of the movie a terrifyingly realistic vision of the life, which future generations may have to live in. Furthermore it aspires for change within human mentality, towards our global actions and interactions, and the way humanity needs to start developing, in a way that a situation as described in the story, does not become our-all gruesome Reality, and the fascinating thing is the possible solutions are already scientifically presented to a certain extent.

After exploring two potential Planets and being unable to reach a third prospect Planet, Cooper is forced to blow himself with a part of the space station into a black hole so that the rest of the team can colonize the potentially last hope for humanity itself. Entering the black hole, Cooper finds himself in an alien galaxy where Time, Gravity and the very elements itself interact differently with each other, beyond human consciousness. Which is the astonishing part of the movie, that even though this part has entirely been based on imagination of the mind, it did practically not defy any scientifically understandable theories.

This movie is not only interesting to watch with a deep and well thought out storyline and is advisable for anybody who is fascinated with the Cosmos and the future of humanity.

12. Guillermo del Toro is a genius.I never thought I’d get to see someone with such a creative mind and amazing storytelling. “Pacific Rim” presents to us the sci-fi side of del Toro, the world is brought to its knees due to the invasion of alien creatures referred to as “kaijus” and the last stand of the human race using robots calles jaegers,which means hunter in german. Jaegers are piloted by 2 people called “rangers” that neurologically attach themselves to pilot the robot.

Raleigh, which is the protagonist, has lost his brother in a battle against the kaijus. Since the event he has been having trouble connecting himself to his Jaeger called “Gipsy Danger”. To be able to pilot your robot you must dominate “the rift” which is the connection between you and the robot. Throughout the story we follow Raleigh and his attempt to move on without his brother and see the world brought to the brink of destruction.

Honestly, the visuals boost the movie to the next level bringing this sense of reality which complements greatly with the script brought to us by del Toro. I read on Entertainment Weekly that del Toro risked his productions whole budget, so if the film was a bomb at the box office his production company would’ve closed. I honestly like all of del Toro’s projects and his trust that his storytelling will keep bringing the audience back.

13. The Holiday, 2006

This movie has everything a romantic girl wants to see on a lazy Sunday or at least leaves you feeling good after watching it. Nostalgic at first but with a passionate ending. Not too corny to stop watching but with an adventurous story that makes you want to know how it turns out. The main characters of the movie are two strong independent women which are Amanda Woods (Cameron Diaz) and Iris Simpkins (Kate Winslet).

From opposites sides of the world on holiday season Amanda on California and Iris on England both have something in common and unfortunately is that they were heartbroken and lonely. Amanda’s boyfriend slept with the 24-year old secretary while the long time lover of Iris engaged with some other girl. Amanda in shock realizes that she prefers to spend Christmas alone so explored a website which people exchange their home with your very own for a period of time. Amanda seemed inspired and attracted to Iris’s little cottage in Surrey, UK. Different from her luxurious and humongous house in California the cottage seemed perfect to fit the holiday spirit, cold weather and time she needed for herself. Amanda reached Iris to see if she wanted to exchange homes for two weeks which was great news for Iris who wanted to go away from England.

Next day they found themselves in the plane ready for their much expected mini vacation. When Amanda arrives in England realizes she doesn’t like it at all. Founds the cottage small, uncomfortable and annoying for her to be alone. Spends a little time drinking, driving and reading then late at night that day a man showed up at her door. Handsome, funny and a little drunk Graham Simpkins (Jude Law) nocked Amanda’s door thinking her sister Iris was going to be there. He usually stayed in her house when he was drunk so he convinced Amanda to let him. She was beyond excited and intrigued by this man who was staying at her temporary home and results in a party between the two and had a one-night stand. She was determined to leave next day to California again but decided to stay to go to a pub where Graham invited her in the morning after.

Iris in the other hand was so happy and genuinely surprised of Amanda’s house which was 10 times bigger than her cottage and by the sunny weather in California. She doesn’t meet any handsome guys the first days but meets this amazing ex script writer for the Hollywood Golden Age old man which was living alone named Arthur. She noticed him one day walking through the neighborhood with a physical therapist helping because he couldn’t walk fluently. Immediately they became good friends and she helps him with some extra exercise classes and swimming lessons for him to walk better. Ultimately he makes huge improvements with his walking. He even felt confident enough to pick up and amazing achievement award unassisted which his long time friends, family and fans wanted to give for ages. He missed the ceremony for many years but finally attended thanks to Iris’s help. In the process of helping Arthur, Iris felt in love with a guy (Jack Black) that works for Amanda.

Things went really well for them and finally fall in love and found the emotional stability they were desperately looking for. I realized how important was for Amanda this trip when she cried on the way to the airport on the last day on England. The movie emphasizes on how Amanda hasn’t shed a single tear since she was 15 years old and she finally cried when thinking about her goodbye with Graham. That’s when I cried and of course when Arthur finally walk fluently. Do I recommend this movie? Yes, absolutely. Has a great message of patience, having a little faith in yourself and how crazy life can turn out to be. Even though it has a predictable ending I highly recommend it.

14. Under the Same Moon

To begin with, Under the Same Moon (2007), apprises the story of a mother who is working illegally in the United States to provide better living conditions for her son who lives in Mexico. Uniquely, brave Carlitos who is 9 years old embarks on his journey to find his mother in California. His mother, Rosario works illegally as a housemaid in two homes located in a rich neighborhood. Throughout the film, there are numerous obstacles along the way; however, that does not stop Carlitos from continuing to search for his mother. As soon as Rosario discovers that her son crossed the border, she becomes desperate to look and wait for Carlitos as well.

Being a young boy, Carlitos portrayed the life of an immigrant. In addition, Rosario portrayed a loving, determined and hardworking mother. Despite the hardships in life, there is always a solution to everything as long as people search for one. In essence, the ending of the film was symbolic because Rosario and Carlitos finally found each other which both were on opposite sides of the street. Soon as the light turned green and the orange hand transitioned to the walking pedestrian signal, the film ended. As a result, the ending left me with imagining Rosario and Carlitos embracing each other after so many years of separation.

On the whole, I loved every segment of the film because I can relate 100% to this story since I am of Mexican descent. Both of my parents were “illegal immigrants,” my father was 18 years old when he decided to cross the border and touch U.S. soil on foot. Unfortunately, he was deported five times but never gave up. On the other hand, when border patrols were not so strict, my mother was 15 years old when she hid under the car seat. Later, they both worked at the Holiday Inn Hotel in downtown Chicago where immigration stopped by numerous times to deport illegal employees. Thanks to the amnesty in the 80s, my parents were granted U.S. Citizenship.

As shown above, I do recommend Under the Same Moon in the hope that this film will inspire citizens of all kinds and illustrate what newcomers go through in order to arrive to their destination. Despite the stereotypes, race or groups, there is one factor that people have in common in this world, and that is working towards a fulfilling future.

15. My favorite film is The Great Gatsby. This film is base on the novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald which has already too movies but the one I will be talking about is the second one that was released in 2013. Personally I’ve started to read the novel but for now I can’t compare them or decide if the novel nor movie is better. This cinema is based in the “Jazz Era”, named by the author, that is the 1920’s. A period of wild economic prosperity, cultural flowering and a shaking up of social mores after World War I.

The movie takes place in New York and it’s about this young and very wealthy man named Jay Gatsby, the protagonist. Nick Carraway, narrator of the novel, tells us about his neighbor Gatsby who contacts him to meet up with his cousin the love JG. This gorgeous woman named Daisy Buchanan was once in love with Jay but for different reasons she ended up marrying Tom Buchanan, the antagonist. After five years they finally reunite despite the social scandals and personal drama in consequence. At the end Gatsby dies, Daisy and Tom move out with their daughter and Nick “metaphorically” dies to New York and finishes in rehabilitation.

The reason I love this cinema so much is because of the era or the Jazz era as Fitzgerald refers. The hypocrisy of people who where part of the high social class because of others and the success Wall Street was gaining power. A period where the alcohol was ilegal but rich men still consume it. Who important was for both genres to dress and drag about their success and fortune because titles were about it. The lifestyle in that moment in New York seemed to me so unrealistic in a good way that I wish I’ve had been part of it to see it my own self. Gatsby house was the mansion even person can desire, Daisy and Tom’s house too. Even Nick’s house which was really small seemed beautiful, specially when he decides to arrange a tea so that can Mr. Gatsby and Daisy meet up for the first time after all those years.

The parties Mr. Gatsby threw that nobody understood why he did it but he tells Jordan, Daisy’s best friend, that it purpose was to see if one day Daisy appeared to one. That enormous festivity was so surprising because every one attended it from high schoolers to the most wealthy and famous distinguished people in the city back then. The performances and harmony seemed so dreamy and perfect. The mystery of how Jay had became so rich and the rumors of how he inherited it was so agonizing and interesting because everyone asked themselves but nobody actually took the enough interest in finding out about his business until Tom decides too. The way Nick admires Gatsby was so lovely because they turned out to be best friends and Nick always believed in him when no one else did.

My most favorite thing about this cinema is the love drama. Gatsby was eternally in love with Daisy. He loved her so much that it consumed him and he would risk and leave all just to be with her. The way he looked at her and how he constantly repeats to go back to the past to relive those moments and that life is fast like a shooting star. That is the definition of a true gentleman because he even builded his house across the bay of Daisy’s house. Although Daisy disappoints me at the end. I mean she loved him and true that she may loved Buchanan too at some point but she deserved someone like Jay that would respect and treated her well. Because Tom was always having affairs and so dominant around her that he manipulated her at the end, she ended up with fear and certain unhappiness.

The social life of this film is all about it. Besides the drama it is also filled with history and the 1920’s were historically interesting. The vocabulary of “Oxford Men” and all the luxuries people from the first class had. The way the author describes New York and Nick’s point of view is fascinating and curious too because this character ended up with drinking problems and “metaphorically” dead to New Yorks and the author turns out to have mental breakdowns and drinking problems too. I definitely recommend everyone to see the movie.

16. One day, scrolling through Netflix, I found a film called “Boyhood” and it caught my eye. I had heard really amazing comments about this film but never really had a chance to watch it. This film is an American coming-of-age drama about the life of a boy named Mason Evans Jr. The film is directed by Richard Linklater and was shot in the United States. Distributed by IFC Films and Universal Studios, in 2014.

Mason Evans Jr. is a 6 year-old boy who lives in Texas, with his single mother and older sister. They are poor and move around a few times due to his mother’s love interests, which causes a few problems. It clearly shows how Mason reacts to the events that are presented to him in his life. Throughout, the film portrays his life from his innocence as a child, to the rocky road of becoming a teenager, and lastly, his entering to college and adulthood.

Something that is really interesting about this film and makes it totally different from others is that it was shot during a 12-year period and the actors remained the same. The director didn’t choose to change the actors like others do. To me, that was a bold move because I tend to get affectionate towards the actors, and when they are changed, it kind of ruins the movie for me, in most cases. This does not only show the growth of the character but also the actors’.

This film and its cast won a few awards like Silver Bear for Best Director at the 64th Berlin International Film Festival, for Linklater. Was nominated for 5 Golden Globe Awards and won Best Motion Picture-Drama, Best Director and Best Supporting Actress for Patricia Arquette. As well, it won 2 out of 5 BAFTA award nominations, being Best Director and Best Film.

I liked the rawness and how the scenes and the storyline were so real. I have to say that at times, it felt a little flat but it didn’t matter too much to me because I just felt like I was literally watching someone’s life on screen, and sometimes our lives have dull moments. Overall, I liked the film and would recommend it. Not because it’s better than others, or because is something out of this world, but because it’s different. And because it can be considered art. Art doesn’t have to be beautiful or appealing, it has to make you feel something.

17. Unbreakable

Unbreakable was released on the year 2000 and was written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan, who in the last few years has been on a downfall. Releasing bad films like After Earth and The Last Airbender, but in the past, he made a great movie called The Sixth Sense, which was nominated for six Academy Awards, including best picture. Unbreakable was released a year after The Sixth Sense, meaning, there were great expectations for this film.

Unbreakable it’s the story of a man who doesn’t know he’s literally unbreakable, played by Bruce Willis, and another man, who lives in constant fear of breaking his fragile bones, this one played by Samuel L. Jackson. Bruce Willis’s character, David Dunn, survives a train crash, where everybody on the train died, except for him, who came out unharmed. Then, Samuel L. Jackson’s character, Elijah Price, learns about the miracle that is David Dunn, and contacts him, to try to convince him that he’s not a normal person, that he is in fact… a superhero.

I loved the movie. I thought it was a superhero origin like I’ve never seen before because of how realistic and serious it treated its own ideas. It has a magnificent musical score by James Newton Howard and it lifts your emotions in the right moments. I also think that Bruce Willis gives his best performance of any movie I’ve ever seen of him because his character, of course, is strong, but he makes him look so weak, vulnerable, and sad of what’s going on in his personal life. The movie is kind of slow, and I think that’s an advantage because of the emotional place our protagonist is in. He seems to be unhappy with his life, like something is missing, and the slow pace of this movie gives us the chance to explore the emotions of the character more so when something big happens, we know what he’s thinking and what he’s feeling without him saying a single word.
    I didn’t like that sometimes it seemed kind of absurd, but as I said before, when you treat your ideas seriously and you elaborate them, it makes them better. The ending, I understand why some people hate it, but, then again, I think that if you watch the movie again, you can appreciate it a lot more. In the end, like in literature, it could’ve showed us, instead of telling us.

In conclusion, I recommend this film. I loved it, I liked the characters, three if I’m being specific, I loved the musical score, and I loved the use of psychology in the film. If you haven’t seen it, see it because its emotionally lifting; and isn’t that why we go to the movies? To feel?

18. Hey movie fans, well I personally love the inspirational movies, movies that motivate you, inspire you to be a better person, to achieve your goals, movies that can leave a message in your mind and learn from it. So, few time ago I saw this movie named “The Blind Side” (2009). The movie was directed by John Lee Hancock. Sandra Bullock and Quinton Aaron were the principal characters of the movie. Sandra Bullock had the paper of “Leigh Touhy” a beautiful, rich, good heart woman, mother of S. J. Touhy (Jae Head) and Collins Touhy (Lily Collins) and spouse of Sean Touhy (Tim McGraw). At the other side we have Quinton Aaron as Micheal Oher, a poor guy who comes from a disfunctional home, removed from his home and separated from his brothers beacuse his mother was an alcoholic and adicted to drugs.

Micheal was a big and strong man, so the coach of the school put him on the school football team. Academically Micheal had a lot of troubles and he was not a good student and to play on the team he needed to have a good average. One night the Touhy family got out of Collins game, heading to their home they saw Micheal seated on a bench at the side of the street and it was raining. They passed Micheal and then Mrs. Touhy said to her husband: “Turn around”. I think her heart got broke when she saw Micheal with cold and taking all the water of the rain. So, they turned around and they pick up Micheal to take him to their home. Micheal passed that night in the home of the Touhy family. The next morning when Mrs. Touhy got out of her bed, Micheal was not in the house. She went after him and bring him back. She saw something special in that guy to let him sleep in her house and not only sleep in her house, to made him part of her family beacuse with the time she helped Micheal to improve athletically and academically. She foght for the custody of Michael and she won it, she made something special for this kid, something that not all humans do. Micheal became a better student, a better human and a better athlete. He improved so much that the most important colleges wanted him to be a student-athlete for them. After high school, Micheal went to University Of Mississippi to earn a college degree and to play football. He was drafted by the Baltimore Ravens in the 2009 NFL draft. He played last year for the Carolina Panthers. What an inspiring story, Micheal went from be a homeless kid to be an NFL player, that deserves a “WAO!”

After seeing this movie I felt so graceful for what I have and the parents that I have. In part I felt bad because sometimes I complain about not having X or Y thing without knowin that are guys outhere wishing to have maybe a good parents like mine. Literally I cried at the end of the movie. Totally recommended.

19. Recently I have been getting into animated Japanese films and Spirited Away caught my attention for its popularity. This amazing film is about a ten-year-old named Chihiro/Sen (Rumi Hiiragi) basically her parents had to move and she was upset because naturally she didn’t want to start a new life, she wanted to stay at her old school with her friends. On their journey to their new home they entered a magical world of spirits. She then meets Haku (Miyu Irino) and he tries his best to help her rescue her parents that were turned into pigs. The film consists of Chihiro trying to leave this magical world with her parents but along the way Chihiro makes friends and works really hard to survive. I don’t want to give so many details in case you haven’t seen it. Spirited Away will make you feel many emotions, that’s what so incredible about this film. I got so intrigued after I watched this film, I wanted more or at least to know what inspired the director and to my surprise I found out that this film was created without a script and that left me shocked because I was really not expecting that.

I understand that animated films aren’t everyone’s cup of tea but I promise this film has a wonderful story to tell. Like I said before I’m just recently getting into animated Japanese films and Spirited Away has been out for over 15 years! I feel kind of bad that I didn’t watch it before because to be honest I thought it was a cliché film since everyone was always talking about it but now I understand why. I wanted to get to know characters a bit more, characters like Lin (Yumi Tamai) and Haku (Miyu Irino). I feel like No-Face (Akio Nakamura) gets all the attention and please don’t get me wrong I like No-Face but I feel like even when you are out shopping you will definitely see a lot of merchandise of No-Face and not so much of the rest of the characters. Overall I really enjoyed everyone’s character development. I found the artwork very pleasing everything was just lovely. The main voice-actors had similar ages to their characters and I found that very thoughtful because they were using their voices to bring to life amazing characters and they were also kids themselves.

I really admire Miyazaki because he made all of this magic by himself. He wrote, directed and drew the storyboards for Spirited Away and he created a marvelous and stupendous work. The movie is about 2 hours long and I was entertained the whole time. However I expected a little bit more of backstory from some characters but that’s just me, you don’t really need that to figure out the plot. Needless to say, I definitely recommend this film to everyone, kids, teenagers and adults, simply everyone. You will find yourself captivated by the magic of this film. It definitely deserves all the praise and attention it gets. This has to be one of the greatest films I’ve ever watched.

20. “Music is all around us, all you have to do, is open yourself up. All you have to do, is listen.”
    -August Rush
    This is one of the best quotation of a drama and romance film called August Rush, released in 2007 and directed by Kristen Sheridan.

Years ago my parents were watching a movie on tv, that it was always airing every day on a network. I have never watched the film from the beginning, however the only scene that I saw was when a musical prodigy was conducting the orchestra in a big concert and a little girl was singing with an amazing voice (that appear at the end of the film). What I really admire about this scene is seeing this young boy conducting the orchestra, living the moment and loving what he’s doing. My mom always suggested me to see this movie and I finally watched it for the first time a week ago.

“August Rush” tells a story about a 12 year-old orphaned named Evan Taylor played by Freddie Highmore. For Evan, music has always inspires his life, he capture the sound of the environment with music and he use his gift to find a connection with his birth parents, who are both musicians. Having the faith that his parents are still alive and looking for him, he ran away from his foster care to New York City to find them and he meets up with unlikely people like the Wizard (Robin Williams). Wizard is a crazy man from the streets who has a passion for music. He gave Evan a nickname for his career known as August Rush and he tells what music is really about. Then August meets a Reverend from a church and he takes him to the school of Juilliard to study music. The directors of Juilliard were impress of August’s talent and invite him to compose for a music concert in Central Park. While August is discovering his true passion, his birth mother starts looking for him and August’s father goes on an adventure to find her.

I already heard that this film has not receive the best ranking from the critics but the audience was in love with this movie. To tell you the truth, I do not agree on what the critics are saying. August Rush tells a beautiful story that is worth to watch. It is very emotional, in some scenes it will make you happy but in others it will make you cry with tears. I cried a lot with happiness and I never cried during a movie, so this is the first film that I ever sobbed in my entire life. I feel goosebumps in all of my body when I was hearing the music that August was playing in every scene.

I really recommend this film that tells you a great message about possible things that you can accomplish in life if you have hope and believe.

21. Why Him:
    This comedy film was recently released on December 23rd, which was a Christmas related movie, so I thought it might be a laugh. Yet, this movie felt like an R- rated version of “Meet the Parents” . Which I loved that movie and it is a much better film in every way in my opinion. If your idea of funny is frequent swearing then this film is definitely for you. It’s really just a goofy movie, and that’s alright by most people, even by me.
    A peculiar way to the guy (James Franco, loved him since Freaks and Geeks, good and quite goofy guy doing comedy movies) who is dating their daughter Stephanie (Zoey Deutch, which is quite a fine great actress) Ned (Bryan Cranston, which I love him as the dad in Malcom in The Middle, and his character in Breaking Bad ) and Barb (Megan Mullally, who was great in Will & Grace as Karen and her character “Tammy Two” in Parks and Recreation) Fleming, American old- fashioned parents, decide to visit her along with their younger son ( on the occasion of passing a beautiful Christmas eve in family. Although they’ve had already a first bad impression, the only thing what happens when arriving at the mansion of his new son-in- law is to see in person how their fears come true, what would be translated as the worst nightmare for a father. Laird Mayhew (James Franco), is a spoiled son of Sillicon Valley, creator and owner of a mobile games company. He is a man with good intentions but socially small-minded who tries to win the hearts of his in-laws and his younger brother-in-law through gifts of big media relevance, nonetheless, his “no filter” and most honest personality will make holiday season into a full interesting enjoyment.
    James Franco is one of my favorite actors and does a very good job in this movie. I would recommend being eighteen or older to watch this movie. Teenagers could connect with this movie because there is a lot of teen slang and culture in the movie. James Franco usually plays the frat boy or wild teen in movies. This film is crudely hilarious, mostly because of the film’s stellar cast. It’s not just that this cast is experienced and talented (which they are) but they are amazingly well-suited for their roles. Bryan Cranston and Megan Mullally’s TV sitcom cred make them ideal as the parents and with excellent chemistry. Keegan-Michael Key is similarly comedically inspired from Key & Peele in Comedy Central, rising star Griffin Gluck, who played as a son of Jennifer Aniston’s character in “Just Go With It”, is just the right amount of earnestly precocious and last but not least, Zoey Deutch is a wonderful combination of smart, strong and sexy. Unfortunately, some of the jokes are more bizarre than humorous, there are a few unintentionally awkward moments and the amount of Laird’s bizarre behavior that Stephanie tolerates feels unrealistic, but those are relatively minor issues. The basic question at this point is… Why see “Why Him?” The answer for those who aren’t automatically offended by crude humor and who enjoy that type of comedy when it comes with heart and is actually funny, is… Why Not?

22. Lemony Snicket’s “A Series of Unfortunate Events” is a film, released on 2004, based on the books that go by the same name. The film presents how the Baudelaire’s have to learn to survive after the sudden death of their parents in a suspicious fire that burned their home -that was more like a mansion- and left them without nothing. Well, with nothing but a big fortune that they didn’t had access until they had the majority of age.

As the story begins to develop, we are able to get to know the characters and their abilities. Violet Baudelaire (Emily Browning) is the older of the three. She is fourteen years old and had the ability to create new things. Whenever she was creating something, she tied up her hair in a ponytail. Klaus Baudelaire (Liam Aiken), her brother, was a little older than twelve, and had a prodigious memory. He had read a lot of books, had a lot of knowledge and was very wise. The younger of the three, Sunny Baudelaire (Kara and Shelby Hoffman), had a peculiar characteristic. She loved to shew things so, when they were working on their inventions, she was the one who shaped things how they needed them to be.

Now that we know the main characters, we can get a brief explanation of what they went through (based on what happened on the film). Right after they got the news of their parent’s death, they were sent by Mr. Poe (Timothy Spall), the banker in charge of the Baudelaire and Quagmire fortunes and the Baudelaire orphans’ guardianship, to live with the nearer relative, who happened to be Count Olaf (Jim Carrey), an actor whose mind was twisted and that was just behind the Baudelaire’s fortune. But when he learned that he couldn’t get his hands on the fortune, he made it his mission to destroy them. As the days went by, the situation was not getting better for them. They were forced to clean Count Olaf’s house, that was in a deplorable condition. Also, they were forced to cook for him and for his theater “buddies”, who were as bad as him. One day, when they stopped at a train station, Count Olaf left them locked inside the car while he was at the station “getting something to eat”. In reality, he was waiting for the train to pass by so the Baudelaire’s got crushed by it. Violet and Klaus knew that something was off so, when they saw the train approaching the car, they started to plan how they would escape. They tied up a ribbon to a head of a decorative gnome (something like those Hawaiian dolls that drivers put in their cars), and they managed to divert the route of the train. Mr. Poe happened to be driving by the scene so, he knew that Count Olaf wasn’t someone to be trusted and he decided that the Baudelaire’s needed to be sent with a responsible guardian, so he sent them with Uncle Monty (Billy Connolly), the “late father’s cousin’s wife’s brother”, who was a herpetologist and a kind and loving guardian. He shows the Baudelaire’s the “Reptile Room”, they meet the “Incredibly Deadly Viper”, a friendly snake with a misleading name, which Uncle Monty recently discovered, and they are informed that they are going to accompany him on a trip to Peru to study snakes.

Even though the Baudelaire’s had found the “perfect” guardian, Count Olaf’s plans manage to destroy the little happiness that they got. Dressed a “Stephano”, the successor of the original assistant of Uncle Monty, he kills Uncle Monty and wants everyone to believe that it was the “Incredible Deadly Viper” killed him, but it’s proven wrong when they see Sunny playing with the snake. Count Olaf’s identity was revealed, but he escapes. That’s how they ended up with Aunt Josephine (Meryl Streep), a widow who loved grammar, decipher codes and who was hysterical about how everything wanted to kill them. That’s why she never cooked anything on the stove, afraid that she would burn herself, and so on. While they were staying with her, the Baudelaire’s discover that their parents where in a sort of secret group. They saw a photo of their parents with Uncle Monty, Aunt Josephine and some other members of said group. Count Olaf arrives at their doorstep, this time as “Captain Sham”, a sailor with an eye patch and a “peg leg”. He persuades Aunt Josephine and she manages to escape by hiding herself in a cave. She leaves the Baudelaire’s a letter with “errors” that were more like a code, so they could find her. When they arrive at the cave, the managed to convince her to go back with them. No one was supposed to go into the Lake Lachrymose for an hour, more or less, when they had eaten something; because of the leeches. But Aunt Josephine ate a banana and they were attacked while going back to the town. “Captain Sham” rescues the kids but leaves their aunt to be eaten. The Baudelaire’s misfortune doesn’t conclude there. After some other situations, the movie ends with them in Mr. Poe’s car, in their way to some unknown destination.

In my opinion, it’s a great movie and I would totally recommend others to watch it. There’s also the fact that they tried to make a comedy out of a tragedy and, with Jim Carrey’s performance, the movie was a total success. Also, on January 13, Netflix’s “Lemony Snicket’s: A series of unfortunate events” made its debut. With eight chapters, the series cover the first four books. It also brought new characters and let’s just say that, Neil Patrick Harris did a great job as the new Count Olaf.

23. One of the first horror movie I’ve ever watched was “The Ring”. It had such a huge impact on me, because of its well-crafted story, the horrific and grotesque video tape and obviously the notorious scene with Samara, the little girl with black hair, crawling out of the television. I would consider this movie one of my favorite just for the lure it brings and the fact that it leaves you wanting more. This movie isn’t your typical horror movie, sure it utilizes some over-used schemes that the horror genre has like jump scares and the gloomy atmosphere, but they didn’t overdo it. However, these jump scares don’t even relate to the actual horror story this movie brings to the table.

The ring begins with two girls discussing this strange video that supposedly kills people; one of the girls has already watched it exactly 7 days ago. She dies that same night and her aunt, Rachel Keller, wants to discover why her niece died in such an unexplained way. She figures out about the tape and decides to watch it. After seeing the horrific images and hearing the phone call “seven days” she starts to believe the video has some sort of curse and being a reporter she wants to find out the truth behind the tape. Rachel and her friend Noah both try to figure out the true meaning behind the tape. They slowly start putting the pieces together and figure out about the Morgan’s and their daughter, Samara, which was a cursed child that hurt people without wanting to and never slept. The father kept her behind a glass wall because he was afraid of Samara and, even though her mother loved her, she kills Samara, because she couldn’t handle her.

What makes this movie so great is that it skips the gore and overreacting crazed lunatics and focuses on the psychological elements, which most horror movies lack nowadays. At first glance the video tape is just a bunch of random images that make you uncomfortable, but as the story progresses you start seeing objects and places shown on the tape and you start realizing that the video tape is actually Samara’s past. You feel as you are on this search with the characters to solve this peculiar case and as they progress you progress with them and they never leave you in the dark. The actors are real and intriguing people, placing them into realistic scenarios, they try to shine light into this little girl’s life, but the story still has a tragic end. The movie doesn’t force anything like horror movies these days, where they put the scary background music unnecessarily loud in scenes that are not even scary. The ring brings out every good aspect that the horror genre has and presents it in such a flawless way that you can’t avert your eyes.

The movie builds this great story that gives us enough to understand a little of the story, but still doesn’t answer all the questions: Who exactly is Samara? Why does she hurt people? Who made the video? I believe that leaving these questions up in the air keeps the lure of the story a mystery. That mystery is the reason why I consider this movie one of my favorites. This movie takes the typical “J-horror” and makes this wonderful lure with an unforgettable little girl that goes to hunt the dreams of the people who have already watch it. So would I recommend this movie? Of course, especially if you like horror movies.

24. One of the first horror movie I’ve ever watched was “The Ring”. It had such a huge impact on me, because of its well-crafted story, the horrific and grotesque video tape and obviously the notorious scene with Samara, the little girl with black hair, crawling out of the television. I would consider this movie one of my favorite just for the lure it brings and the fact that it leaves you wanting more. This movie isn’t your typical horror movie, sure it utilizes some over-used schemes that the horror genre has like jump scares and the gloomy atmosphere, but they didn’t overdo it. However, these jump scares don’t even relate to the actual horror story this movie brings to the table.

25. Last weekend, I had the opportunity of visiting the movie theater ‘‘Fine Arts’’ and got to watch the movie Lion. Everyone had talked about the film and was highly rated and recommended. Lion is a drama film produced by Sunstar Entertaiment. The hugely talented Garth Davis is director and Luke Davies wrote the screenplay. Lion is the 5th movie directed by Garth Davis, an Australian television, film and commercial director. He is best known for directing episodes of the series Top of the Lake in 2013. The cast of this movie isn’t highly popular, but they’re sure great actors. Some of the cast members are Dev Patel, Nicole Kidman a very famous Hollywood actress, David Wenman, Sunny Pawar, Rooney Mayar, Priyanka Bose and many other great actors.

Lion is adapted from the novel “A Long Way Home” by Saroo Brierley and Larry Buttrose. The main character in the movie is Saroo an Indian five year old, who gets lost in the streets of Calcutta, which are miles and miles across India and away from home and family. Since, his lost he faces many challenges leading to hard times in the streets of India. Being alone he learns to survive by his own and then finds the way into a children’s shelter. When he enters the children’s shelter an Australian couple right away adopts him. Being adopted by an Australian couple Sue Brierly (Nicole Kidman) and John Brierly (David Wenman) he then needs to move to Australia. Twenty-five years later using a new revolutionary technology Google Earth, he decides to search for his family. Now he has memories with an Australian family, unwavering determination and sets to find his family and finally get back home. It is a story of courage, inspiration and most importantly to never let go of what drives the human spirit, hope.

In my opinion, this is a great film. I loved every part of it and how it was so well made. What, makes me like more the movie is that this movie is a true story film. By making it based on a true story, people get even more emotionally involved in the movie by realizing that someone in real life passed through all this. Another detailed I liked about the film is how at the end it presents how many children get lost in India annually. This fact is very important, because it causes awareness and also informs the audience about the hard times children are suffering in India. By exposing this information in the film they collaborated with extraordinary organizations to support children in India and around the World. Loved the fact that this is a movie that created a movement for people to donate and help children and just make a difference around the world.

26. Mr. Nobody (2009)

I am not a fan of Sci-Fi but this film blew my brains away with the aesthetics it portrays. If there’s any movie that I would recommend anyone to watch is Mr. Nobody (2009). You might want to schedule a night to watch it because it is not your average hour and a half type of movie. The movie is two hours and twenty one minutes (which is why I strongly recommend to schedule yourself into a netflix night in order to watch it, you know, maybe order a personal pizza and maybe a glass of wine to get in the mood). Despite the length of the film, this movie is breathtaking in so many ways. It is emotional, confusing, aesthetically pleasing to the eye and beautifully created.

In an utopian society, 2092, a Nemo (Jared Leto) an one hundred eighteen year old is the oldest mortal person and he’s about to expire. He is all over the news and people want to know how was his life back when immortality did not exist. He tells of his life at three primary points in his life: at age nine (when his parents divorced and has to choose whether he lives with his mom or dad), age sixteen and age thirty-four. The movie is constantly alternating life paths, making it confusing and somewhat incomprehensible. The point of this film is that possibilities are endless and elder Nemo tells the story in so many points of views to let the utopian people know that if you never make a choice, anything is possible

One life path has him ultimately married to Elise, (Sarah Polley) a depressed woman who never got over the unrequited love she had for a boy named Stefano when she was a teenager and who asked Nemo to swear that when she died he would sprinkle her ashes on Mars. In a second life path he is married to Jean (Linh Dan Pham). A life of luxury but one also of utter boredom. And a third life path he is in a steamy romance with his step-sister Anna (Diane Kruger), the two who, as adults, would search for each other after having been torn apart as teenagers. These life paths also intersect, along with the three women sometimes entering the alternate life in some other aspect.

What do I like this film so much? There is one scene, that is truly breathtaking because it depicts a reality of our desires. The scene I keep blabbering about is when younger Anna and Nemo have their first kiss. You feel the craving these both characters have for each other and just when they are leaning in for a kiss, there’s a close up shot of Nemo’s arm getting goosebumps. I remember that I was sitting on the coach with my eyes flooded with tears because I felt it, too, his desire to kiss a person you love. That image of innocence captivated me and changed my life. It may sound very insignificant but, us, the sentimental freaks, fall for this kind of act every time.

It’s the little details that can make any film a great one. Especially, when it tries to depict the true reality of our ambitions, our feelings and our passions. The more true to reality it is, the closer you are to touch someone’s heart and make it pleasing for the eye.

27. Movie fans, critics and audience are everywhere. Just pass by a cinema booth and hear the many uncertainties in a couple’s voice when one of them wants to see romance but the other can’t stand the thought of it because in their minds action is the best genre. Luckily on December 22, 2016 Sony launched a great intermediate film for both romance,drama and action junkies. The futuristic sci-fi film Passengers starring the talented Jennifer Lawrence as Aurora a young, wealthy known New York writer and the edgy Cris Pratt as Jim an industrial mechanic who can make rebuilding a robot seem to look as easy as breathing. The duo create a uniqueness in a spiraling, mysterious love plot. Many similar scenario have been seen in other movies yet the public has a thirst for more. Like many people in the film industry say “everything has been created already, we only need to make it feel different” well this movie does just that. The movies audience has quickly increased in January making this a new year most buzzed movie. Hence the buzzing situation can it really be as epic as the trailers and fans make it.

Brief love scenes, very unclear problem solving solutions from the actors and a sudden appearance of a totally unexpected character ruined the movie for me. Passenger consist on the tale of two passengers who are boarding the spaceship called Avalon traveling through deep space towards Homestead II,in which both characters were unexpectedly woken up from their hibernation chambers 90 years too early. The script has many layers making Cris Pratts character the modern day castaway. He sees himself awakened alone with endless luxury, meals and entertainment. The many scenes of his loneliness develops an emotional empathy for his character. He seeks to create a friendship with the only humane faced robot but still lacks company because of the harsh emotionless robot like features. After a year of loneliness and unconditional search for the answers to his unlucky faith, a frightful thought begins to arise in his mind. Nevertheless at this precise moment where the audience has already been speculating a thousand of plot twist that could have happen, the directors goes for the obvious solution. Therefore Jim takes the courage to uninstall Auroras hibernation system making her wake up 88 years before the ship arrives to the new planet.

There are so many other possibilities yet this selfish and emotional wreck Jim decides to take away the state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions life plans from Aurora. Life is so delicate and unstable it is despairing for someone else to make those choices for you and this was Auroras exact reaction when she found out. I wanted more from everyone, more love from the couple, more explanations and words from the scrip and way more problem solving skills when mayhem strikes this almost exploding spaceship. Like most Hollywood movies she forgives him and they both find a quick solution to the only problem they had during the movie, surviving in space.

28. I love J.K Rowling, but the last big thing she has written is Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. But, is the wizarding world as interesting without any of the signature Harry Potter characters at the center of the story? The answer to that question is not so much, but it was an entertaining extension of the magical world, some captivating performances and the promise of a build up to something epic.
    Where this movie greatly succeeds is in the expansion of the wizard and magical world and that’s thanks to J.K Rowling knows that world inside and out. Moving the action from Europe to the U.S allows us to see a different kind of magical community and we learn a lot of details about how witches and wizards are in the U.S All of that includes how their relationships with muggles are discouraged, but most importantly how poorly treated and misunderstood magical creatures are.
    In the movie we learn about the American wizarding world by the way the main character, Newt Scamander, who has never been to the United States before. But, of course, his trip takes a turn for the horrible when his magical suitcase, which also ends up being mixed up with a similar suitcase carried by a factory worker named Jacob Kowalski, ends up realizing several of the magical creatures he’s been studying on his journeys around the world and taking care of in his magical care facility inside of said suitcase.
    The reason Newts magical beasts escape is a really big deal because times are tense with the dark wizard Gellert Grindewald because he has been trying to spark a war between the wizards and the non magical people. And the Newts escaped beasts can reveal the wizarding world in a destructive way.
    On the other hand, the good news is that the wizarding world is still full of wonder. The new creatures introduced inspire true awe, and most of them are more interesting than the humans, witches and wizards we meet. For me, the most satisfying dynamics come from Jacob Kowalski and Mr. Scamander, as the two spark an unlikely friendship.
    Part of the problem is that most of these characters either aren’t very likeable and while it’s good to see a main character who isn’t like every other hero out there, sometimes it was just a little too much to suffer through for extended periods of time. Newt even says people find him annoying, and while it’s somewhat in an endearing way from the outside looking in, it’s not entirely desirable.
    The most exciting sequences in Fantastic Beasts come when our main characters has to track down the escaped magical creatures. Every one of those sequences is more exciting than the climax of the movie when Credence is discovered to be harboring an Osbsurus, a dark magical force that arises in witches and wizards who hide their power. And in this case, since Credence was forced to keep his power hidden due to being adopted by an anti-witchcraft, this dark force is off the charts powerful.
    Outside of this shortcoming, this still feels like a Harry Potter movie thanks to director David Yates, even if it’s a little less polished, and doesn’t have quite the same personality. There’s still a lot to enjoy, and plenty of promise. I hope rather than just searching for fantastic beasts, next time J.K. Rowling digs a little deeper to find something more we can latch onto besides magic and creatures in general. It also couldn’t hurt to have a score that was a little more memorable.

29. One Day:

The film One Day is a romantic drama based on the book of David Nicholls called “One Day”. Directed by Lone Scherfig, produced by Nina Jacobson and starred by Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess.

The main characters of this movie are called Emma (Anne Hathaway) and Dexter (Jim Sturgess). They meet each other the night of their college graduation and spend the night together after a failed attempt of having sex. After that night they became best friends and the movie shows us every 15 of July that they spend.
    The movie begins with a short scene of the 15 of July of 2006 and goes back 18 years to where it all begins. The 14 of July Emma and Dexter meet each other after their graduation and tried to have sex. Dexter stayed at Emma’s apartment and spends the morning of the next day together. After that, the movie showed the next 15 of July on Dexter and Emma’s life.

In my opinion One Day is not the best romantic-drama movie; I expected more. On some parts of the movie I lost track of what’s being going on because of the time jumps. The movie only show the 15 of July and sometimes they were important events happening that were complicate of understanding. Probably my opinion is affected by the fact that I didn’t know that it was based on a book; maybe after reading the book I would have understood the movie and could change my opinion. The movie doesn’t have special effects, but it is very interesting that it has scenes with vintage looks and the clothing used during the entire movie were little details that helped capture my attention. All in all, the performance of Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess was very good.

To synthesize, I would not recommend this movie, or not at least without reading the book first. Reading the books before watching the movies is something I often do to make a better critic about the plot and the details. To my suggestion, it is better reading the book first and then watching the movie.

30. Love, Rosie

A few months ago I went to a friend’s house and she suggested to watch a romantic comedy called Love, Rosie. Initially it didn’t called my attention. I usually prefer action and mystery movies that make me analyze more the storyline than romantic films, but I had to admit I did had a fun time watching it. The movie can be a little too random at some points because of the crazy experiences the characters go through. There was also a point where I was desperate for the protagonists to be together because there are way too much obstacles between both of them. However, in general the movie is fun and entertaining.

The film tells us the story of Rosie (Lily Collins) and Alex (Sam Claflin), two best friends that have known each other since their childhood. When Rosie’s 18th birthday arrives, both friends decide to go and hang out. While they are dancing, Alex kisses Rosie while she is drunk. The next day, Rosie doesn’t remember the kiss. She only feels embarrassed about getting drunk and expresses this to Alex, who misinterprets this as a sign that she just wants them to be friends. It is here when the love stories start to twist and we get to see the struggle of both characters to get over each other, while still having feelings for each of them. Rosie then gets pregnant with Greg’s baby, one of the “coolest kids at school”, and decides to keep this from Alex so he doesn’t worry too much about her. While Alex goes to study at Harvard, Rosie decides to let go of her opportunity to study at Boston and take care of her pregnancy. More obstacles start appearing that will test the characters love for each other as old lovers return and interfere with both Alex and Rosie’s true feelings.

Like I said before, there are some of the obstacles in the movie that can be “too much” at times. When Rosie, for example, is single, Alex is in a new relationship, and vice versa. This happens several times in the story, which made me a little mad at times. Then when both of them are starting to get together again, they will start fighting and ruin the moment. There was a point where I just wanted the movie to be over so they could be together. However, the chemistry between the main characters was very good. They were able to transmit in their roles this desperation of being together and overcoming these obstacle in order to be happy. The comedy aspect of it could have been better, but overall it was fun and enjoyable.

I would recommend this film to anyone that likes fun romantic movies. The love theme is certainly present and the little comedy parts add to the plot for it not to be too dull. Even though it made me go insane at some points, at the end of the day I prefer a movie that makes me feel something, than a film that doesn’t transmit anything to me. It is a good option if you want to spend a fun afternoon with friends.

31. The Golden Globe winner, “Moonlight”, did a magnificent job by showing some of the many hardships LGBT youth face while growing up. Representation played a big role in this movie, as the main character Chiron, was both black and gay, something unlikely to see in movies nowadays. I really connected with the movie as I finally got to see someone like me in the big screen; even in the LGBT media it’s really rare to see a person of color portrayed. The film’s main focus was first love and homophobia, but also touched other issues like bullying and drugs, being a well-rounded movie.

The story was divided in three parts, showing the growth of the main character through childhood, adolescence and adulthood. In the first part, i. Little, we are introduced to Chiron, played by Alex Hilbert, a withdrawn child that is continuously bullied because he’s gay. The boy later meets Juan (Mahershala Ali), a crack dealer that took care of Chiron after saving him from some bullies. We soon find out that Paula (Naomie Harries), Chiron’s mom, is addicted to crack and really abusive towards Chiron, Juan confronts her but the argument leads nowhere. During this part we are also introduced to Kevin, the first boy that befriended Chiron, they quickly had grown closer to each other. Now in the second part, ii. Chiron, Chiron (played now by Ashton Sanders) is a teenager, but still deals with being bullied, his mother’s crack addiction and his sexuality. In this part, Chiron has his first ever sexual experience with his childhood friend Kevin, which ultimately ended in tragedy. Later in the third part, iii. Black, Chiron (played now by Trevante Rhodes) now an adult, went through a really drastic change from a shy skinny gay boy to a muscular gay drug dealer. Even though he physically changed, on the inside he was still tormented by his abusive childhood and the fact that he would only ever love one man, Kevin.

The movie did a splendid job by showing the growth of Chiron with three different actors, the one that really outdid himself was Ashton Sanders. He perfectly portrayed the life of a black teenage gay boy, showing the dire conditions the black community live in to this day. The interaction between Chiron and Kevin was really important, as in every movie done by the LGBT media, it’s really common to see the characters being oversexualized, a really big problem of the community itself. This movie showed that there can be sexual scenes, but in a tender and non-exaggerated way. Also it clearly showed that a film can have a gay black male lead and still be successful, it doesn’t always has to be a cis gay white male. This movie clearly deserved the Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture – Drama.

“Moonlight” really outdid itself by being a truly unique movie, I would totally recommend this film to everybody. You don’t have to be gay to understand the plot and to connect with the characters. It’s such a well-rounded film that deals with many social issues, so everyone can identify with any of its characters. It clearly showed the ingrained homophobia in our society and the hardships black people have to deal with to survive.

32. Sabrina, 1954

“Nobody poor was ever called democratic for marrying somebody rich”
    —Mr. Fairchild, Sabrina.
    This phrase may explain a little of the 1954 romance film Sabrina, one of my favorite movies. (Spoilers ahead).

Sabrina (1954) is basically about how an ugly ducking became a swan and threats to break an important merger worth millions for the (already dirty rich) Larrabee family by dating the younger Larrabee brother, David. This makes the cunning, workaholic, and older brother Linus to push the obstacle away. Linus’ plan is to try to court Sabrina and convince her to sail with him to Paris. Linus would not be on the boat when it sails, but by the time Sabrina realizes that Linus is not there, it will be too late.

And so, Linus begins to execute his plan to get rid of Sabrina and proceed with the merger as previously planned. With David resting his butt (he had an accident), he asks Linus to take care of Sabrina. At first, everything seems going according to plan. Sabrina begins to know Linus on a personal level and after some dates she begins to fall for him. There is only one problem: the plan backfires. Linus begins to fall in love with Sabrina. The night before the trip, Linus confesses his plan to the young woman and he lets her go. The morning after the confession, David tells Linus that Sabrina is no longer in love with him and also discovers Linus’ feelings for the young woman. Linus dismisses David telling him to screw the merger and to follow his heart. On the last meeting to sign the merger, both families (bride’s and groom’s) are exasperated because David wasn’t there yet. Linus believes he’s with Sabrina sailing to Paris… until he actually shows up to the meeting. David tests Linus and makes him realize he is in love with Sabrina. Long story short, Linus runs to the boat and sails to Paris with Sabrina.

This movie is classified as a “Cinderella” story, I disagree since she actually doesn’t end up with the “prince” and Linus actually quits his job in order to be with Sabrina. In my opinion, The ugly duckling is similar to Sabrina (at least in the first part of the movie). By some reason it also reminds me to Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride. It has a nice story and a good conflict; it also has a very funny resolution. Talking about funny, the movie has its funny parts and jokes, with the family’s sense of humor and the servants’ characterization.

This movie has a remake, the 1995 film of the same name. I don’t like the remake as I like the 50’s film. First, fashion. I dislike 90’s fashion a lot, but it doesn’t matter, the ending is as good as the 50’s film. However, I prefer the 50’s film and jokes (the remake doesn’t have as much humor).

I really recommend watching the film Sabrina, along with its’ remake. Even if I have a bad opinion over a movie I would recommend watching it, we all have different likes, so I encourage to watch and then review, no matter the nature of the critics.

33. Sabrina, 1954

—Mr. Fairchild, Sabrina.