Third Film Comment

gerard-butlerI don’t know what’s happening, but I feel that there aren’t too many films out there worth watching. So I’m going to write about a film I have watched, but haven’t loved.  I find that American cinema doesn’t cast  foreign actors well. Actors like Penelope Cruz, Gerard Depardieu, and even Antonio Banderas lose some of their screen persona when they act in American films. All these first-rate actors, who are impressive in their native countries do for the most part second-rate work in the USA. I’m saying this because I love Gerard Butler, the Scottish actor. I first saw him in a British film called Dear Frankie. He had a small role, but  he caught my eye. Then, I identified him as the phantom of the opera in the film of the same name and as Beowulf in Beowulf and Grendel. I thought he was a striking phantom of the opera, preferable to the blond leading man. Then as King Leonidas in 300, a film where he was perfectly cast, he was catapulted into fame. And that’s when the problems began.

Though a very attractive man, he doesn’t seem to do well in romantic comedies. I hated P.S. I Love You, mainly because the plot was so improbable and because Hillary Swank was miscast as a romantic figure, and they kill him at the beginning of the film. Well, that wasn’t his fault. After that, I enjoyed his character in Rock’nRolla, but this was a British production. Then I saw him in The Ugly Truth, another run of the mill romantic comedy. It has nothing new to offer. Katherine Heigl is very pretty, but there’s something about her that doesn’t click with me. As far as the romance, I found this film too vulgar for my romantic taste. The love triangle is badly developed. Except for being handsome, the young man who plays the doctor, doesn’t do much…and he’s no competition for Gerard Butler. There’s really not much in the story which leads to the romantic ending.  So, as you can see, the ugly truth is that you should skip it. The Bounty Hunter was even worse than The Ugly Truth. There was absolutely no chemistry between Aniston and Butler, and though cruel, while I was watching all I could think of was that I could  understand why Brad Pitt left her for Angelina Jolie. So it was, at least for me, a disaster.

However, since he’s become very popular with both men and women, he has many films out there now. I  haven’t watched Gamer but I did watch Law Abiding CitizenLaw Abiding Citizen begins with an interesting premise about how a criminal can get away with a crime if he/she has the right lawyer. Unfortunately, at least for me, the director and writers took the easy way out and developed an action packed ultraviolent film with no heart.   Butler has several films which will be released soon, the most promising being Coriolanus about a Roman warrior. Hopefully, he’ll do better in this. Anyway, I’ll watch anything he’s in-I just like him.

19 thoughts on “Third Film Comment

1. Mary Poppins:

Mary Poppins… A woman of many personalities, one of the most recognizable characters in the world, a central figure of eight storybooks, a Broadway musical, charmed millions of children and adults and is 24th most successful feature film ever released in the United States; she is a true cultural icon. Many have read the books written by Pamela Lyndon Travers, but most people, identify with the character as brought to life by Julie Andrews in the 1964 Disney film.

Mary Poppins is portrayed as a beautiful, empathetic jolly nanny. Although, in the original books, Mary is described as an egoistic with big hands and feet and ugly clothes… Shocking. It is a lovable story of the nanny with the umbrella, who magically arrives to put this fractured Banks family back together again. She has plans on taking care of the Banks children, Jane and Michael Banks, in their home in London. They write an advertisement itemizing what they require in the perfect nanny. She must be “kind and witty,” “very sweet and fairly pretty,” “never be cross or cruel,” or give “castor oil or gruel”. In no time, she drives, sees that the household is in complete chaos, but instantly put everything in order starting off with the very famous “A Spoonful of Sugar” song. The children are sorted out and taken off on an adventure in the city, including meeting her amazing friend Bert (Dick Van Dyke), a passionate chimney sweeper. He accompanies them, jump magically in a chalk drawing of the park, enter in a whole new world by animated penguins, who serve them tea on a carousel having strangely willful horses, and dance Mary and Bert with other animals while singing “Jolly Holiday”, as it is my favorite part.

Mary is as a mythic figure, a trickster, a shape-shifter, a soul guide, who activates the children’s imaginations, helps them to escape the restrictions of cultural expectations, and personifies their inner psychic content through introductions to unique characters and the experience of wondrous adventures. This film is one of Disney’s greatest talents to craft movies and stories that operate on multiple levels. Adults may as well but they can register the message here of what is truly important in life. Poppins has the answers. It is better we don’t analyze who she is and or course she never explains anything. The Banks family is just glad she was there for a while, and we should be glad that Walt Disney left us with this masterpiece. She is simply a nanny who teaches them how to enjoy life. This movie is a musical and has both comedy and pitifulness and lots of imaginative scenes that are wonderful for adults and children alike. You’ll be singing along in no time…”in the most delightful wayyyy…”

2. Colonia (2015)

I am a big fan of movies that have historical events. For example, Colonia, starred Emma Watson as Lena and Daniel Brühl as Daniel. This film is about a couple whom the girl was a flight attendant, and the man was a photographer and also a Chilean rebel. He was known for his political rallies and he is surprised to see his girlfriend after a long time they have been apart. From the looks of their relationship, it was one of long distance. She stays in his flat for a couple of days until one day the phone rings and Daniel picks it up. He is told he has to leave his flat immediately as for a group of Pinochet’s regime were after them.

While they were in the midst of getting out, they run onto the street attempting to flee the soldiers who are rounding up everybody however they too are caught because Daniel was photographing the event. The army takes the detainees to the main sport stadium in the city at gun point, where a man, with his hidden face points at anyone who is supposedly against the new right wing government (Pinochet’s). Daniel is dragged away into a vehicle, supposedly an ambulance, along with other suspects whilst Lena is free to go.

After this Lena goes to meet the other people who were present at Daniels rally. She asks them to help her find her boyfriend but she is simply told that there is nothing they can do since he has been taken south to a place called Colonia Dignidad (colony of dignity) a place that no one has ever escaped. This place is a dark cult that no one dares to enter. Dissidents are sent there to suffer by the army, in return the complex stores their arms. Since she’s desperate to find her boyfriend, she dresses up as a nun and is admitted to Colonia.

This is a film that is nail-biting and stressful to watch. My heart was palpitating all the time, that’s how GOOD the plot is. Just when you think the movie is almost finishing, more plot keeps getting better and more complex. It is very historically based hence the credits presents you the actual photos of the place and the person administrator Colonia. I loved this film, I would recommend it to everyone. Emma Watson is such a good actress.

3. Lets face it, Jared Leto is a very talented actor and singer but he truly shows his skills in the movie Mr. Nobody. This film is an extremely complex movie in which one can easily get confused with and have to watch it more than one time to fully understand it. This film has many different themes including comedy, romance and fantasy. It start with Nemo Nobody, and mortal man in a world of inmortals, who is dying of old age and is in an hospital in which a doctor is trying to reveal his memories. A reporter then starts to ask Mr. Nobody about his past when he starts reveling not only one stories but many. It shows scenes about him as a young child going into teenager to the an adult man. He tells 3 different versions of his life in which starts confusing everyone who is watching the film and even the same reporter that is asking him the questions. This film is an incredible and original movie that had never been done before. Both the young actor and teenage character portraying Mr. Nobody in the film have it all exactly the same as Jared Leto acts the character. Even Jared Leto acting as the old man in the film confuses the audience into thinking its another character in the movie. The movie is almost 3 hours long and it is difficult to understand, it might be hard, but once you get the meaning of the story and truly fulfill its purpose it really is an incredible film and i recommend it to anyone.

4. 10 Things I Hate About You

The film “10 Things I Hate About You” is a romantic comedy film directed by Gil Junger. The movie is starred by Julia Stiles, Heath Ledger, Joseph Gordon –Levitt and Larissa Oleynik. 10 Things I Hate About You was released on March 31,1999 and received a 61% on the Tomato Meter.

Cameron James is the new student and when he saw Bianca Stratford he was attracted to her. Bianca was the daughter of a gynecologist who was an overprotective father. Bianca has an older sister, Kat Stratford and none of them were allowed to date. Bianca wanted to date a Senior named Joey Donner, but his father didn’t allowed it. Bianca insisted too much, that her father said that if Kat date someone, she can date someone too. Kat didn’t have social skills so Bianca and Cameron find a guy who would date her for money. They choose a bad boy named Patrick Verona who was refused by Kat a few times. Patrick finds Kat’s likes and dislikes with help of Bianca and find Kat interests.

I totally loved this movie. The plot, characters and screenplay was pretty good. I would like a little more of the others characters history, but this may be a plus. The music was pretty good too and the scene where Patrick sing was funny but cute. I think that the way they used a bad boy character with a good girl may be a cliché in other movies, but it was well developed. In my opinion, is one of the best romantic comedy that I’ve seen.

The movie, even with the cliché plot, made me fall in love with it. This movie makes you fall in love with the process of Patrick finding that he’s in love with Kat and the makes you cry when she makes that list of reason why she hates him. The movie has good characters, good actors and good scenes. Out of ten, I would give this movie an 8.

5. The Edge of Seventeen

I have always liked movies that are based on teenage problems and the pressures of growing up. When I watched the Edge of Seventeen in the theater I heard that this film had reviews and perfectly summed up what it’s like to be seventeen. The director of this film is Kelly Freemon. What I really loved about this film is that it shows some scenes that are real. It shows some mistakes that teenagers will make during their lives. Is emotional, hilarious and I think that Hailee Steinfield does a great job playing Nadine, who is going through a personal tragedy and thinks that life is miserable.

The Edge of Seventeen is a coming of age film that tells a story of an awkward and unpopular teenager named Nadine. For Nadine, life gets more complicated when her all-star older brother Darian starts dating her only best friend Krista. When Krista is with Nadine’s brother and meeting his friends, Nadine feels left out and alone. One day, she meets a geeky-nerd named Erwin. He has had a crush for a while. She establishes a relationship with her history teacher, Mr. Bruner (Woody Harrelson), who becomes her mentor.

Nadine is an drama queen, she is very rude and hates everyone that is around her. She also has a hard time relating to other classmates. The only person who talks to her every day at lunch, is her history teacher. She tells him all of her problems. I think that she has this kind of conflict with her friends because of her bad memories during her childhood. She has been bullied a lot and she doesn’t have any friends . That’s why she has closed walls in her life and never opens up to others, especially to her older brother. She thinks that her brother’s life is perfect because he is popular at high school. If they could get along Nadine would agree with Krista going out with Darian. In the movie you see Nadine processing her life and step by step, tearing down her walls, inviting people like Erwin and family into her life.

What I am very surprised about is that The Edge of Seventeen is R-rated. When I saw the trailer for the first time it looked like it would be PG-13. However, when I saw the film on the big screen there were elements of sexuality and vulgar language. I think they rated this movie R is because it is also for mature adults. It shows to true life experiences what kids go through when they are seventeen. I recommend this film because it shows the importance of taking risks in life.

6. Ex Machina, directed by Alex Garland, is one of the best modern science fiction films that deal with the relationship between humans and artificial intelligence. The movie is composed of an outstanding cast, with actors such as Oscar Isaac, playing Nathan Bateman, Domhnall Gleeson, playing Caleb Smith, and Alicia Vikander, as Ava. It had a huge success with the movie critics and film awards, winning over 20 awards for its outstanding characters and plot.

In essence, the plot follows the story of an employee of the Blue Book Company, Caleb Smith. After winning a computerized contest, he visits the CEO of the company, Nathan Bateman, in his isolated home. There Caleb is instructed by Nate to determine if Ava, a humanoid robot, is capable of developing consciousness. After some time, both Caleb and Ava form a very strong bond, by expressing romantic interest for each other. As the plot thickens, we get to see a darker side of each character, with their intentions becoming clearer.

The film digs deep, on how we humans perceive technology and how that intelligence may perceive us in the future. Ava shines light in the dark side of the artificial intelligence that is being developed in this present time; that can backfire at any given time. In the same way, Nate shows the manipulative and greedy nature of humans. Although Ava showed clear signs that she had developed consciousness, Nate still treated her as a robot. He used her for his own lucrative gains, Ava was simply the toy of a pretentious businessman.

All things considered, Ex Machina was an excellent film, with a very intricate plot and interesting characters. Unlike other hard science fiction films, it ventured through the different psychological states of each character, making it a very unique film. This movie is perfect for all of those science fiction fans, such as myself, that enjoy both comedy and a little mystery in one packet.

7. Ratatouille

“Anyone can cook”

In 2007, Disney Pixar released the animated film Ratatouille. Directed by Brad Bird, this movie is basically about a little French rat whose dream is to become a chef, since he has a passion for cooking and a very keen sense of smell.

I love this movie. The story is about this little rat that encounters a guy working in a restaurant and both end up being friends and cooking in one of the best restaurants in Paris. “Anyone can cook” is the phrase we are told again and again as our little rat friend, Remy, becomes the real chef of the restaurant named Gusteau. The conflict of this movie is that rats are not allowed to even touch the kitchen (for obvious sanitary reasons), but Remy breaks the rules to make his dream come true. We can say that the moral of this movie is that no matter our size or the obstacles we may find in our way if we are resilient it is possible to conquer our dreams. Also, I loved the way the movie shows us that there are going to be difficulties that may make us wander off our dreams.

We can say that what made the movie attractive was the cooking; who doesn’t love food? The way the food was designed and that these were real recipes makes me want to take my hat off. The dish we are shown at the end, Ratatouille, is called in real life “confit byaldi”, a recipe designed by gourmet chef Thomas Keller (Wikipedia). I just love how the details of the food and the atmosphere of the movie make us think we are actually in the kitchen smelling the food. There is no need to say the disappointment we feel after the movie is over and we crave to eat the delicacies shown.

The characters are nice, but I was always asking about how Linguini could be Gusteau’s son. In my opinion, that fact could’ve been developed in a better way. I think that it would’ve been nice to have Renata to tell us how everything had happened. In general, the characters were great, but a little underdeveloped.

The plot was also great. We hear Remy narrating the story of how his restaurant opened and as if we are part of the rat clan living in the restaurant’s ceiling. And we can feel the desperation and the anxiety Remy felt in his journey while escaping death and trying not to be discovered by the former chef or by all the employees altogether.

In conclusion, I love the movie for its colors, the music, the food, and the story. It gives a good moral that fits all types of audiences. But in the end, this is only my opinion so I will encourage to watch the film and judge it yourself. I believe we will have one agreement: our desire and craving for the film’s food and the disappointment we may never eat the delicious dishes shown in the film.

8. The movie “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street” has always been a favorite for me since the first time I saw it. It was directed by Tim Burton in 2007. The story takes place in the Victorian Era in London when a barber named Sweeney Todd returns to his home to search for his lost family and take revenge on his enemies. The thing that called my attention the most when I saw this film was that it had a lot of horror and violence, yet it was a musical. How could these two different things come together? The movie was based on the original Broadway musical by Stephen Sondheim and Hugh Wheeler.

Benjamin Barker (Johnny Depp) lived happily with his wife and daughter, until judge Turpin (Alan Rickman) appeared and decided to take his wife all to himself. To get rid of Benjamin he falsely accused him and sentenced him to exile. Fifteen years later Benjamin comes back, but with a new look and a new name: Sweeney Todd. He goes in search of his family to his old workplace where he had his barber shop. He finds that on the top of the building the barber shop is abandoned and in the first floor there is a fail pie business ran by a woman called Mrs. Lovett (Helena Boham Carter). She tells Sweeney that his wife was poisoned by the judge and that his daughter is being held captive. After hearing this Sweeney is determined to kill the judge, but when his plans don’t go the way he expects he gets mad and decides to reopen the barber shop, but this time killing every man that comes to his place. He does this with the help of Mrs. Lovett, who then uses the dead humans to cook her meat pies and flourish the business.

I am a really big Tim Burton fan, and I have always admire how he brings darkness into his movies in very unique and distinctive ways. The fact that this movie is a musical at first didn’t make me so excited. Honestly, I expected the typical song in the middle of the sentence about something simple and irrelevant, but when I saw it I was proved wrong. The darkness and the sort of depressing tone to the songs make it very different. I also love the dark humor involved in it, like when Sweeney sings carelessly while killing people. Another point that has made me appreciate this movie is the cast. I think that the actors were perfectly chosen and they bring these insane characters to life in a way that I don’t think any other cast could have. The way the story is told makes you sympathize with the characters and even make believe that what Sweeney is doing is not 100% wrong, since he has also been a horrible victim.

The movie is in my opinion one of the best that I have ever seen. From the story to the cinematography, it’s very thought-out. If I would have to say something negative, probably it would be that the blood looks too fake at times, but at the same time I think it’s part of the dark comedic tone that Tim Burton has in his movies. Other than that I’ll have to say that it is very different from any other movie and that a lot of people could enjoy it if they went with the tragedy/horror plotline.

9. Finding Dory is a 3D animation film by Pixar, which narrates Dory’s search for her long-lost parents. It is a sequel to Finding Nemo. Both of them focus on going on a journey through the sea and saving someone that got lost. Along the way, they discover the true meaning of family and that family doesn’t just mean those of your own blood. Also, it teaches that no matter who you are or what disabilities you have, you can do anything if you put your heart and mind into it. This was a fairly requested film and a lot of us waited for years for it.

Dory (voiced by Ellen DeGeneres) is a blue tang fish that suffers from short-term memory loss. At the beginning of the film, we get to know baby Dory and meet her parents. The audience gets a glimpse of how their life was, regarding Dory’s condition. Later, we find out that she gets lost and wanders throughout the sea looking for her parents. This lasts until she is an adult and doesn’t remember where she comes from or how she got to where she is. Next, she runs into Marlin (voiced by Albert Brooks), who is in search of Nemo (voiced by Hayden Rolence), and starts to have flashbacks and remember key events that make her want to search for what she lost a long time ago.

This PG-13 film was waited for since Finding Nemo, in 2003. The fans couldn’t bear to wait, but they still had to for 13 years. It seems crazy but this type of animated films take forever to be done. They are similar to stop motion, although, I doubt there exists a more complicated and time-consuming film genre than stop motion. The editing and producing phases are to be taken care of with caution and precision.

This film was very sweet and heartfelt. Pixar never fails in making us laugh or cry until we can’t no more. They promote values and show people great stories. Comparing this film to Finding Nemo, I liked this one better. One reason being: the characters and their personalities in this film. I highly recommend it and could watch it over and over again.

10. Ex Machina, directed by Alex Garland, is one of the best modern science fiction films that deal with the relationship between humans and artificial intelligence. The movie is composed of an outstanding cast, with actors such as Oscar Isaac, playing Nathan Bateman, Domhnall Gleeson, playing Caleb Smith, and Alicia Vikander, as Ava. It had a huge success with the movie critics and film awards, winning over 20 awards for its outstanding characters and plot.

11. The 1983 drama/thriller, Scarface is recognized by many people, not only because of the amazing acting of Al Pacino, but also has many remarkable quotes like “say hello to my little friend”. This movie received fairly good rating hitting an 82% on the tomato meter and an 8.3/10 on IMDb. The critic reviews are also pretty good stating that they liked the actor’s performance and despite its moralistic conclusion, the film has since become de rigueur viewing for crack barons, who know a good shoot-em-up when they see one.

Tony Montana manages to leave Cuba during the Mariel exodus of 1980. He finds himself in a Florida refugee camp but his friends Manny has a way out for them: undertake a contract killing and arrangements will be made to get a green card. He’s soon working for drug dealer Frank Lopez and shows his mettle when a deal with Colombian drug dealers goes bad. He also brings a new level of violence to Miami. Tony is protective of his wife and sister but his mother knows what he does for a living and disowns him. Tony is impatient and wants it all, including Frank’s empire and his mistress Elvira Hancock. Once at the top however, Tony’s outrageous actions make him a target and everything comes crumbling down.

This movie is definitely a must watch for anyone interested in drama; a great movie with great actors and a great story line that is super easy to follow, but it always leaves you thinking. Al Pacino takes his roll seriously and makes the character of Tony come to live through his action and he are just immerse in the film through his amazing act. Not only does Al Pacino totally crush his roll, but all the other actors as well, Steven Bauer, Michelle Pfeiffer, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonic, Paul Shenar, etc. they all play their parts and slowly become the character making the movie feel even more real. I would give this movie a pretty good score and rating as well, because I remember just loving this movie when I first watched it.

12. The Last Song is a film, released in 2010, based on the book by Nicholas Sparks, a bestseller author. The film present the struggles of Veronica “Ronnie” Miller (Miley Cyrus), a rebellious teenager that has been marked by her parents divorce. Ronnie and her brother, Jonah Miller (Bobby Coleman), are sent to spend the summer with their dad, Steve Miller (Greg Kinnear), in his house by the beach, in Wilmington. Steve was a former concert pianist teacher, that was currently working a work of art that was going to be the centerpiece of the local church. At first, she does not even talk to his dad; she gives him the cold shoulder because she resents that he was absent for a long time and only communicated by letters. But what happens when a life changing experience knocks at their door?
    As the story develops itself, as shown in the movie, Ronnie finds love when she was not looking for it. Juilliard School was interested in her since she was young and they wanted her to attend the next fall, but she said that she would not go. During her stay in her father’s house she starts to play piano again, which she had stopped playing.
    Later on she finds out that her father suffered from cancer, that that was going to be the last summer that they were going to spend together and that he stopped taking his medications because of the side effects that they gave him. He said that he wanted to be in all consciousness when they (his kids) where there. He also was blamed of a fire that burned down the local church, but it was not his fault. It was Will Blakelee’s (Liam Hemsworth) friends fault. Steve, felt guilty and he was in everybody’s mouth, because they all kept blaming him for the fire. So, when her father is unable to finish the piece of art that he was creating for the church, Jonah, Ronnie and Will work together to finish what he started, and when he gets out of the hospital, they surprise him by showing him the finished work.
    Later on, Ronnie discovers that what happened was in fact because of Will’s friends and she gets mad at him for not clearing the misunderstanding in public and for letting his father take the blame for something that he didn’t do, that she distance herself from him. They see each other at the funeral of Ronnie’s father, when you get the idea that they will try to begin again from scratch.
    Also, there are other situations that are presented in the ilm such as, the difference between them. Will’s family was wealthy and well known in the town, while she was just a normal and ordinary girl. His parents weren’t happy about that and didn’t accept her at first. There’s also this girl, Blaze (Carly Chaikin), who was a rebel and had problems with her abusive boyfriend. Somehow Ronnie finds herself involved in many problems because of them, but even after that, she keeps trying to help her.
    At the end of the film we see Ronnie driving with her father’s belongings in a pickup truck, specially the piano that he had in his house, on her way to Juilliard. I believe that what made her change her mind was all that she lived in that short amount of time.
    For me, it was a great movie and I would recommend it. It is cliché in many ways but I still loved it, and more by knowing that Ronnie and Will are still together since that film. They separated for sometime, but ended up together since 2016.

13. Beauty and the Beast is a Disney classic movie and has a huge background. Since, it’s an old movie from 1991 it’s always good for fans and Disney to bring it back to life action. The tale of a scary-looking dude who holds a girl hostage until she submits to him is usually the stuff of police reports. Or, of course, a Disney musical. Such is the case with Beauty and the Beast, director Bill Condon’s live–action version of the 1991 classic and the first animated feature to win an Oscar nomination for Best Picture. Condon knows how to lift heavy machinery without showing the sweat. And Emma Watson is just the Disney princess-in-distress to warm the heart of a hairy ape, or bison, or whatever kind of beast the stellar Dan Stevens is playing. Working from a busy script by Stephen Chbosky and Evan Spiliotopoulos, the director fills every frame of this way-too-long 129-minute bauble with rapid motion and ravishing romance. It looks the same, moves the same and sounds the same (those Alan Menken songs) as the original. Some of the cast in this movie is Emma Watson (Belle), Dan Stevens (Beast), Luke Evans (Gaston) and Josh Gad (Lefou). This is an amazing movie with amazing music composed by Alan Menken and Audra Mcdonald. In the movie a beautiful, but self-absorbed prince get the chance to help an old raggedy lady, but he treats her badly. She turns out to be a beautiful woman with magical skills and she throws the prince into a spell of ugliness and loneliness . His staff is transformed into objects to do with their profession . He gets a magical mirror to watch the world through in his isolation. He needs to learn to love a person for who they are, and get them to love him before a magical rose he also is given loses its petals. In the village a beautiful young girl feels lonely and misunderstood, because she reads books, and seems to be the only one. She daydreams about getting out, getting a better life, meeting a prince. Her father is a “nutty professor.” He goes off to compete at an inventors’ fair but gets lost in the woods and ends up a prisoner at the beast’s castle. Belle, the girl, goes looking for him, finds him there and pleads to let her father go, in return for her staying there with the beast. It’s a done deal and Belle is now trapped in the castle with the beast and his staff. She reads books, enjoys musical numbers such as “Beauty and the beast” and “Be our guest”, and manages to fall in love with the beast. In the village the ignorant and manly Gaston is upset that Belle isn’t interested in him. When her father claims she is trapped with a beast, Gaston sees the opportunity to have him committed to a mental hospital, thereby forcing Belle to marry him. This almost works, but the beast lets Belle out and she is just in time to save her father and prove there is a Beast. She shows them the magical mirror and Gaston takes a posse to go and kill the beast. After Gaston failed, Belle was reunited with the Beast. Belle did in fact fall in love with the Beast, thus breaking his spell.

14. Aliens (1986)

Yesterday I watched Aliens for the first time in my life. I love Alien, the first one, so I was excited to see what James Cameron did with the sequel of Ridley Scott’s classic sci-fi film. In this movie, Ripley wakes up after 50 plus years to find out that some people are living in the planet where she and her crew found the alien and other alien eggs. She has to go back to the planet with a group of marines to make sure everything is alright.

As I said, the first Alien was great and this one it’s equally great in my opinion, as it managed to be its own film by implementing action, fun characters, world building, great special effect, great production design, and developing the character of Ripley more. I enjoyed the movie, it was fun, but it wasn’t an action film that forced you to shut your brain like Fast and the Furious, this one wants you to think about Ripley and wants you to understand her fears and her frustrations with the aliens. The chemistry she develops with the little girl and one of the soldiers it’s so good to see because she doesn’t share her feelings a lot, she’s a tough person and she softens a little bit with those two characters, especially with the little girl. The design of the alien, it’s pretty uncomfortable honestly, and that’s a complement because it added suspense to the movie. There were a lot of quotable lines and that brings me to the script which is also good.

I don’t think I have a lot of negatives with Aliens. The only thing that I would have wanted just a little bit more is more character development for the other characters. That’s the only thing, because it’s such a great film, and such a difficult one to make, that you have to respect the people that made it so good.

I recommend you see it if you’re like me and no one in your life cared enough to show you good movies, if you’ve seen it, then you’re a normal person and you’re lucky. I’m going to give it a 10/10 because it’s one of the greatest sci-fi films I have ever seen.

15. I just got out of the theater, I saw an animated movie which is an emotional one. Baby Boss is an educational movie, many people can think that is a movie just for kids but they are wrong. Baby Boss is a movie for all ages and includes really good topics that we can learn a lot from them. I can’t lie, at the end I was about to cry. It makes a lot of emphasis in the family, in the love, in how important is the infancy stage in the kids and how to be successful by not giving up and getting throught failures. Tom McGrath is the director of this great movie which is narrated by Tobey McGuire. The actors who made the principal voices of the main characters are Miles Bakshi as Tim, a seven year old kid who likes to play and loves his parents attention and Alice Baldwin who made the voice of the Boss Baby.

Tim is a happy kid, he is the unique son of his parents. He got all his parents attention for him. One day this “baby” came to Tim house to be his new brother. Tim did not liked to much because now he will not have the attention from the parents. Result that the new baby is not a real baby, is an adult baby who is on a mission to save his company. But Tim parent’s did not knew it and the baby got all the parents attention to him. Tim felt sad and neglected. When Tim discovers that his brother is not a real baby he wants to tell it to his parents, but he need proves and the only prove that he had got destroyed. They talk and they made a deal. The deal was Tim helped his brother to accomplish his mission and he leaves as soon as the mission get done and Tim will have back all his parents love and attention just for him. So they began to work together as a team, as a real brothers. In the journey of the mission they both learn to care about each other, both learn things about each other,both push each other to be better, to improve and to grow. At the end they accomplish the mission, thr “baby” got back to his company like a hero. Tim got his parents love and attention back but… I totally recommed this movie, I don’t to write the end beacuse if one of you want to see it don’t knew it already.

16. Lethal Weapon (1987- 1998)

This being the last post on movies, I’m gojng to write about four of my favorite movies, which coincidentally all have to do with each other. Its a series starring Mel Gibson, Danny Glover, Joe Pesci, Rene Russo and etc. All four movies were directed by Richard Donner, who was also the director of The Goonies (1985) a real cult classic.

Following the death of his wife, Los Angeles police detective Martin Riggs (Mel Gibson) becomes reckless and suicidal. When he is reassigned and partnered with Roger Murtaugh (Danny Glover), Riggs immediately clashes with the older officer. Together they uncover a massive drug-trafficking ring. As they encounter increasingly dangerous situations, Riggs and Murtaugh begin to form a bond. Riggs’ volatile behavior might just help them apprehend the criminals — if it doesn’t kill them both first.

If you’ve ever heard the phrase “I’m too old for this shit” then you can thank Danny Glover for making it iconic and his number one catchphrase in all 4 movies. If you’re talking to someone and somehow they start repeating the phrase “OK” more than 4 times in one, then my dear reader, blame Joe Pesci for making you hate that term so much that suddenly you find yourself saying it as well. If you want to see a “real” psycho look at Mel Gibson, whose back story captivates the audience. Do you want to know the bad-ass female “Infernal Affairs” then meet Lorna Cole, who eventually turns into Mel Gibson’s love interest.

These movies were a big part of my life growing up. I’ll admit that maybe I may have wanted to be a cop like Riggs… yes… even though he was “psychotic”. If you’ve seen the movies then you’d be able to understand me. I wish I could spoil what I’d have up my sleeve of an idea I have had for a while as a continuation per say. Anyways I hope this inspired you to watch them.

17. My best friend recommended me the film Hurricane Bianca and I simply loved it. It´s about the discrimination LGBT+ people have to go through. Richard Martinez (Roy Haylock) is fired from his new job as a teacher after the school finds out his sexual orientation. He wants to go back for revenge but mainly to help the students because he feels they have the potential and also considers he can help this new generation to not become bigots. He comes up with a plan to become Bianca del Rio a female teacher that is not to be messed with. The kids improve their grades and start being more open minded. If you guys didn’t know Roy Haylock is Bianca del Rio in real life too because that’s his drag name. The guy won a competition called Rupaul´s drag race.
    Also in this film we get to see a transsexual person and I think it’s great that we get to see more of the LGBT+ community. It’s a comedy film but it leaves you thinking about our social issues. How people can discriminate so easily. One of the things about Hurricane Bianca is that regardless of all the bad that is going on, there are always good and accepting people out there. One of my favorite scenes is when Karma Johnstone (Bianca Leigh) a trans woman finally decides to call her family and tell them where she’s been all these years since she ran away as a scared teenager. It’s a very emotional scene and one of the best. That’s why I really enjoyed this movie because through humor they present a lot of the things that people should be more aware of. Texas is kind of known for being very judgmental when it comes to the LGBT+ community and in the movie Richard jokes about not being able to find a gay club or anything like that in Texas. I laughed a lot while watching this movie and definitely need to sit down and watch it again.

The Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 82% and I think that’s pretty high. It’s on Netflix if any of you wanted to check it out and believe me it’s really easy to watch. If you are looking for a funny, and yet very good movie about the LGBT+ community or just a movie to do something on a Friday night then I surely recommend Hurricane Bianca.

18. The great Jennifer Lawrence is the highest paid actress in the world, her rolls are so diverse and greatly executed that her movies always tend to have a huge gross income at box office. Through a short period of time she has become a Hollywoods A- list star. She began her journey in TV series with small audience reach such as: The Bill Engvall Show and The Burning Plain. The first time her acting skills were proven to be in a maximum level was the movie The Hunger Games (2012) she was energetic, a real revolutionist and hard headed. Fans really loved that about her, making her role playing Katniss Everdeen a millennium legend. The way she indulged the public and stood up for all the wrong that was occurring in the storyline, really takes good performance to pull of. After seeing the work she could do, she was casted and given the role for the whole saga Catching Fire and the two-part Mockingjay.

As it happens to many actors they tend to lose their persona because the audience can only see them as that character’s they played in the movie and more so if it’s a saga but, not for Mrs.Lawrence. She is versatile and that is what allowed her to completely change for the other roles with such grace. Later starting as Mystique in X Men: First Class, it was a shock to many fans of the movie because of the roles they already compared her to, yet she was able to create and personalize this character. But, for me it wasn’t neither of these movies that triggered my fandom for this exceptional actress.

The Silver Linings Playbook was the game changer, she now stared the role as ‘Tiffany’ as a standout in a crazy love story. Bradley Cooper as Pat Solitano Jr. and Robert De Niro as Pat Solitano Sr. also are leads in the movie. Finally a twist on romance movie, Tiffany has a weird, outcast personality trying to break free from the expectations her family and everyone has set out for her, she beings to overcome the suffering of the lost of her lover whom had passed away. And then meets Pat a mental case who is also suffering because of the memory of this cheating wife. Both of them need help and seek for each other, many would think that was the worst decision they could of made but, they are the type of people who take chances and know that not everything will be peaches and cream. She is willing to help him get his wife back but only if he helps her win a dance competition that is her only aspiration in the moment. Throughout all of the ups and downs they have because of their different ideas of how to live life they overcome them so find love. That’s why I love this movie and the message it sends out “imperfect and love can go great together”. Other roles that were risky and edgy but Jennifer landed and did a great job was as an emotional complicated wreck of a wife in the movie American Hustle. Once again showing off her talent, with both movies she won three Golden Globes and two Oscars.

19. The Fault in Our Stars is an emotional teen movie, based on the bestseller by John Green, which for the most part enforces the silver ring of abstinence with cancer. Shailene Woodley plays Hazel, a teenage cancer patient, whose thyroid lesions have metastasized to her lungs. Her condition has stabilized due to experimental drug treatment, but she has to wheel around a portable oxygen tank. In the support group that her mom forces her to attend, she catches the eye of Gus, a cute boy, whose osteosarcoma condition is also stabilized after the amputation of one leg.
    Gus likes to have an unlit cigarette in his mouth to show his existential defiance. Hazel is obsessed with a novel called An Imperial Affliction with an abrupt ending, all about a girl dying of cancer, written by a reclusive author called Peter van Houten. Impulsive Gus whisks her and her mom off to Amsterdam to meet her hero, and it is a journey that is to bring their relationship to a crisis.
    Now, there may be people who can witness a halfway competent dramatic representation of the death of children from cancer without choking up. I am not one of those. Flashbacks show that Hazel lost her hair when she was 12. It has thankfully grown back, but she is wearing it short. Gus is way cute, and his lifestyle, like Hazel’s, does not appear to be modified in any appreciable way by his illness. They are both extremely comfortably off, and Gus’s bedroom is like a starter man-cave for a wealthy young man.
    But no. Their respective parents are strict, although Hazel’s mom appears to have whispered something extraordinary to Hazel, when she was in a grave situation in hospital years previously. It is something that Hazel has not forgotten and that should theoretically deepen and complicate their relationship profoundly. But the pair just hug it out. It’s like it never happened.
    The Fault in Our Stars reaches a nadir of horror when Hazel and Gus visit the Anne Frank House. The couple are overwhelmed with emotion at their own situation and make out, while the surrounding crowd melt, offering encouragement in various European languages.
    The title is taken from Cassius in Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar: “The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars/ But in ourselves, that we are underlings.” Perhaps getting cancer was written in the stars for them, but Hazel and Gus realize that it is “in themselves” to do something in response, up to them to make the best of life. That’s fair enough.