First Film Comment

Here’s the sample film comment I had promised. It is meant to serve as a model. Your comment should be about the same length as mine. Notice that I’ve been specific about what I liked and disliked about the film. I have also provided some background information. Remember that your comment can be on any film of your choice, it can be an answer to my own evaluation of the movie, or to a fellow classmate’s comment. The important thing is that you support your opinion with arguments, that it be your own (not copied from another source) and that it be lengthy enough to merit the 25 points for the activity. Be aware that our blog is public and that anyone in the cyberworld can read what we write. So check your work for spelling and grammar mistakes before you place it in the blog. I recommend that you write your draft in a Word document and then copy and paste unto the blog instead of writing your comment directly unto the blog. In this way you have a backup copy of your work in case accidents happen. Also remember that you will probably not see your comment immediately after you submit it. This is because I have to approve it. After I do this, you will be able to see what you wrote. This will take some time since I usually check my mail in the morning.

Somehow it’s difficult to surmise that this obnoxious character, Mark Zuckerberg in The Social Network, created the highly successful Facebook. If the purpose of the initial dialogue by Mark and his girlfriend Erica was meant to annoy the viewer, it achieved its purpose. I felt like turning off the film at that very moment. However, since this is probably one of the films that will be nominated for the Oscars, I decided to be patient and give the film a chance. From the beginning the film establishes some of its main themes through that initial irritating conversation. Issues of class and power, who belongs, who has social skills, and how you deal with success surface from the beginning.

The main character, Mark Zuckerberg, a Harvard student who got a perfect score on his SATS, is obsessed by his desire to belong to the prestigious fraternity Porcellain.  He knows that being from a wealthy family will not get you into this exclusive group. So he wants to do something special that will prompt the fraternity to invite him to be a member. During the course of the initial conversation, Mark angers Erica and she breaks up with him. Because he is angry at Erica, he first blogs nasty information about her and then hacks the university’s profiles, takes all the girls photographs and asks guys to rate their hotness. The page he created receives  22,000 hits within two hours and causes quite a commotion within the Harvard community. It also calls the attention of the Porcellain fraternity who ask him to become part of their group to help them create a social network similar to My Space. His dream achieved, Zuckerberg fools them into believing he will help, but develops what we now know as Facebook. And this is where the story really begins.

The film combines the hearings of Zuckerberg’s case with vignettes of what supposedly had happened in flashbacks. Mark Zuckerberg, as played by Jesse Eisenberg, is disagreeable, arrogant, unregretful about any of his actions, and it seems unprincipled. This character is remorseless and for me had no redeeming qualities. Except maybe for Eduardo (Andrew Garfield), none of the characters in this story is likable. In fact they are all, in my opinion, despicable. On a personal level, they represent everything that is wrong in this world. I’m sorry if I offend-but I hate fraternities and the misuse and abuse of power. I have always felt that with great wealth and power, comes great responsibility. None of these characters are worried by their responsibility as citizens; they are just greedy.

Well, the question is Do I recommend this film? I certainly do. It is too long and dialogue driven so maybe this is not a film for those who like action. Though, it made me angry and made me question having my Facebook account.  It tells a great story. The fact that it angered me was precisely the film’s objective. It exposes the greed and immorality of our times and the superficiality of our relations with others.

25 thoughts on “First Film Comment

1. I’m sort of a fan of drama movies, but hate those which take cheesy to the next level. There is no arguing that almost everyone has a little spot in their hearts for these. The movie I’m going to be talking about is The Escort. This is a Drama/Romance from 2015 rated a 6/10 by IMDb. This movie is about a sex-addicted journalist who enters the life of a Stanford-educated prostitute. As the movie develops they find warmth in each other’s companies.

The Character Mitch played by Michael Doneger is a sex-addicted journalist who got fired from the newspaper he works for. He uses this app on his phone to link up with women for sex. Any gap he had free during the day he would use on the app. After getting fired he goes to a bar where he meets Natalie who is played by Lyndsy Fonseca, who approaches him. She greets him with a fake name and tells him she studied at Stanford and was interested in him. After he notices she is not a hook up from his app, he acknowledges she is a prostitute and a very expensive one. He then is intrigued with her story and decides to use her story for a job application. At first, she refuses, but he gives her his card just in case, after a bad night she decides to call him. She realizes that she could use him as a fake bodyguard without him knowing. When Mitch notices she is using him as a bodyguard, he refuses to do the story, but Natalie tells him that if he stays they both get what they want, she gets a pretend bodyguard and he gets his story. After all the time they spent together, they end up falling for each other.

This movie is not bad at all, Do I recommend this movie? Yes, I believe this is a romance movie to watch. You get to see each of the characters point of views, where they come from, their lifestyle and how they feel about each other. We get to see how life choices affect your future and how to move on from them.

2. Jorge E. Rivera Murphy
    201-60-4432
    This movie I’m going to talk about is avatar. This movie was made in December 18 2009. James Cameron is a director, screenwriter, film producer, philanthropist and Canadian marine explorer. What I liked about the avatar movie was when people were corrupted by their imagination in an avatar that jumped from tree to tree and their language as he pronounced it. On a lush planet called Pandora live the Naqvi, beings that appear to be primitive but are very evolved. Because Pandora’s environment is poisonous, human / Naqvi hybrids, called Avatars, are related to human minds, allowing them to move freely through Pandora. Jake Sully, a paralytic marine epiphany is transformed through an Avatar, and falls in love with a Naqvi woman.
    James Cameron’s “Avatar” 3D movie is a strange visual luxury, although it has some unexpected side effects – such as eye pain, dizziness, nausea and even vomiting – among a small percentage of the audience. Another effect that I didn’t like about the movie is that the face was not real. What I liked about the actor stephen leng his performance was so real to the point that they hated him. Some people seeing the new blockbuster film report becoming depressed afterwards because the world of Avatar, sporting six-legged creatures, flying lizards, and glowing organisms, is not real. Yet, to director James Cameron’s credit, the alien world of Pandora is based on our own biological paradise—Earth. This film is one of the highest grossing flimes in history.Coronandoze as the best movie. This movie has won awards such as oscares, golden globe and even bafta. This makes it the best movie due to all the awards they have won.

3. Linnette M. Caballero Rivera
    201-50-6332
    Alita: Battle Angel is a science fiction movie based on the 1990s Japanese manga series Battle Angel Alita by Yukito Kishiro that was created and make in 2019. The director was Robert Rodriguez and co-producer James Cameron; this director has made many films that are been famous in his decade like machete, Sin city and From Dusk till Dawn and James Cameron has made movies that are impact our century like Avatar that was one of the best film and best seller in 2009.But the best movie that he made was Alita. This movie has one of the best score in films he got 7.4\10. Alita it’s a movie that got a lot of impact in 2019, this movie presents the life of a robot girl that live in earth after a catastrophic that happen in 2563, 300 years. Alita has the opportunity to have a life again thanks to a scientist Dr. Dyson that found her in the garbage. The scientist has a laboratory in the city of Zalem that work repairing parts of robots. Alita in the movie become a warrior in a famous game that the robot practices. The prize of win the grand prize is to go the world that is on top of the world in that place live the people who are rich so basically in Zalem live the people that are poor and don’t have the money to have a honor live. Alita fall in love with a guy called Hugo that at first he was working for the villain in the movie victor just for live in the world in the sky. Alita is one of the best fighters in the movie; she has to fight with robots that have more weight than her but because of her fight skills that she got it from the group of fighters that she was working with.
    The parts of the fight are the best they use some slow motion to make the fights look more real. Something that I dint like in the movie was that Alita look like so fake a little bit, she looks like she is made from an anime in a computer. I understand that Alita is like an anime but they made it look so unreal with that big eye. Another thing that I didn’t like was the character of Hugo the director try to put a good relationship between Alita and him. For me the couple was little bit toxic, because at the end Alita try to save him and him dies trying to go to the World in the sky that he die. Hugo was a distraction for Alita it was better to not put Hugo as a character in the movie. Maybe it was better to not put a relationship in the film; in every film they put a couple to make it more romantic. This movie has everything has action, fights, drama and a good story that make you want to see it twice. I recommend this movie if you want to see a film about action this is the movie for you. This move is one of my favorite because present a girl that don’t need a man to be safe, it’s time to make more films like these, this films inspire little girl to fight for her dream and to understand that you don’t need a man to be saved.

4. Dirty Dancing Havana Nights, directed by Guy Ferland, is based on the life story of Producer JoAnn Fregalette Jansen, who moved to Cuba with her family in 1958. Thus, the “Based on True Events” title. In November 1958, the American teenager Katey Miller moves with her parents and her younger sister to Havana. Her father is an executive of Ford and moved to Cuba, and Katey is an excellent high school senior student that misses her friends. The family lives in a fancy hotel, where Katey accidentally meets the local teenage waiter Javier Suarez. Later she sees Javier dancing in a public square and they become friends, but he was fired from the hotel because her acquaintances had seen them together. Katey invites Javier to participate of a Latin Ballroom Contest in the local Palace club to help him to raise some money, and she secretly meets him in the La Rosa Negra nightclub for rehearsals. Later they fall in love for each other in times of revolution. Katey’s father works underneath an American company in Cuba, so when Batista flees the country, it leaves Katey’s family in a position where they must leave as well.

I remember growing up and watching this movie because of how I once fell in love with the original movie, although the Havana Nights version had taken my heart. Havana Nights showered more cultural aspects into the story, not only making it about love rather than the actual plot adjusting to the series of events that lead to their farewell. It’s well acted with a great cast that doesn’t disappoint and the dancing is terrific, although neither of the main characters knew how to dance outside of the script. And what a treat to revisit the unforgettable Swayze who was still fabulous in his fifties only 4 years before his untimely passing coming into play a “Yoda” type role in the movie, just to fulfill the original Dirty Dancing movie. The clothes and cinematography make me yearn for my childhood. Everything was choreographed to fix the culture, to fit the Hispanic vibes and what it means to actually dance casual but appropriately different than what other dancers would condone.

In most people’s eyes, Havana Nights doesn’t live up to expectations that the original Dirty Dancing had implied, but what movie can actually live up to it’s original? To me, Havana Nights is it’s own story line with merging similarities of the love story but other than that, Havana Nights isn’t a sequel rather than a movie of it’s own with an amazing soundtrack, captivating dance moves and a list of terrific actors. Although, it doesn’t capture the “happy ending” of a true romance movie. In the end, Katey and Javier make separate ways due to their different lives although Katey’s “dreams had changed.” It leaves you wanting more, it leaves you wanting to see them come together in the future, but (spoiler) they don’t. To some, that’s a good way to end a movie, give the audience wanting more, but to me, a hopeless romantic, I live for those moments of happiness among the characters. This is a movie I grew up watching over and over again, on a rainy day, until I can quote the entire movie. My overall rating ⅘ stars.

5. Kenya Molyneau
    201-50-1795
    ING 124 sec. 3
    Lion King (1994)

The movie Lion King (1994) directed by Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff, is an animation, adventure and drama genre film. This movie is all about a Lion cub crown prince is tricked by a treacherous uncle into thinking he caused his father’s death and flees into exile in despair, only to learn in adulthood his identity and his responsibilities. This movie is my favorite of all time because it brings a great story and moral at the same time. What I like about it was that the content of the movie didn’t leave you wondering at the end, of what was going to happen. The next thing that I like was that it was an appropriate movie for all ages.

The movie had a great setting and actors to portray the animation characters of the movie. I didn’t like the part when Simba’s uncle killed the father which is Mufasa, and making Simba believe that he killed him and that’s why he flew away from its home. It showed a cruel death, when the wildebeest were chased by the hyena’s that caused a stampede. That’s how Mufasa died trying to save his one and only son. That’s the only thing that I didn’t like about the movie.

The movie was an amazing, animated film from Walt Disney. This movie is one that you can remember forever because it has memorable characters, messages, musical between the scenes, and others. The film I will recommend it, because it brings a memorable story and morals and not only that but it is one film you can sit down and watch and enjoyed it and sing along with it too. The Lion king (1994) got a rating of 8.5 out of 10, it won two Oscar in best music, original song and best music, original score. At the end Simba and Scar fight and Simba regain his throne as king and the hyenas killed Scar. After all the animal in the circle of life waited for Simba to climbed the on top of the rock and claim himself as king.

6. *This comment contains spoilers *

Since its release, I’ve heard great things about Moonlight but hadn’t seen it until a few days ago. I’m glad I did. The representation and story of a black kid who struggles to understand who he really is while living in the hood is one of the things that make this film stand out. Speaks directly to the feelings of whomever watches it.

The movie starts showing us this kid named Chiron getting called “faggot” and beat up by others his age. Simultaneously, we’re also presented with Juan who seems to be the kingpin of that hood. Juan finds and takes Chiron to eat after seeing what he was going through. They develop a type of father/son relationship. In one scene, Juan tells Chiron “All you gotta do is show niggas you ain’t soft”. This is advice Chiron takes to heart and affects the whole outcome of his life. Meanwhile, Chiron’s mom, played masterfully by Naomie Harris, is a drug addict who gets her fix from Juan’s drug spot and makes Chiron’s life a living hell. In one scene, Barry Jenkins, the director, outdoes himself with beautiful conceptual imagery permitting us to empathize with the deep psychological abuse he goes through at home. Made me realize the importance of a responsible parent figure in the lives of children/teens.

Chiron has his first sexual experience with Kevin, another boy at school who quickly becomes his crush. Kevin is then challenged by the bullies to beat up Chiron in a very explicit series of shots that really intensified the feelings of distress. Fast forward a few years and a physically changed adult Chiron that is now running the hood’s drug post. He gets a call one night from Kevin who he hadn’t seen in years telling him “This dude, man. He reminded me of you.” because of someone he saw. Chiron then decided to visit him at work miles away where they reconnected after years of not seeing each other. Both of them finally lowered their guards and let their masculine vulnerability show in a beautiful act of love and mutual comprehension.

Besides counting with this very well put deep controversial script, this production deserves to be applauded for their use of color, purposeful cinematography, music, sound design and acting. One of the best films I’ve watched in some time and a historical win for the LBGTQ+ community and african americans worldwide. Highly recommended if you want to watch a work of art born and bred by the trivialities of life in the hood.

7. Esteban Gabriel Calderon Rosado
    Movie: US (2019)

The film Us directed by Jordan Peele for me is one of the most amazing films in 2019. The director tells us a plot and mixes the genres of mystery and horror in order to bring a social critique to the United States. Originally horror movies always carry devilish themes, or with something that has to do with demons and darker environments. In this case it is quite the opposite, Lupita Nyongo or makes two characters at the same time and tells us a disturbing and frightening story. This movie tells us the story of a family that decides to go on vacation to a house in the country. These are happy at the moment, because they spend time with family. After a few days one night they look out the window and see that there is another family outside. And here is when the plot itself begins. The father goes out to warn them that they are invading private property and that they should leave, they remain static and move in a strange way towards the door, they get to enter and when they look at each other they are the same family. The same actors representing another version of themselves.

The family that was kidnapped in that case is totally scared and then they decide to play a game between the two families to see who is better. And so it happens during the course of the movie. Since I told you the basis of the movie, I focused on it because I think it could be the movie of the year. The way the director mixes these genres with the central idea that he wants to convey to a society for me is something extremely wonderful. Since this touches the theme of all the tunnels that Eu has underground and the film surrounds with the question why are these tunnels and why are they empty? And that’s when the plot develops and we see this social criticism of brainwashing that makes the United States through its media. Actress Lupita is my current favorite actress because I really like how she makes very particular decisions to be able to interpret characters like this, and that’s what I like most. That the fear that the film gives is a fear totally provoked by the actors themselves and how they are developing their character in an incredible way through this film. This movie is a work of art by Jordan Peele and adds another great success to his career. I recommend this movie if you want to do a little analysis of your social environment and to see how amazing this movie “US” is.

8. The Perfection

The Perfection for me is a really phenomenal and quickly made itself one of my favorite movies. I love it because of the way it plays on the viewers expectations on how a movie should play out. For the first half of the movie you’re fooled into thinking you’re watching a totally different movie. There are two movies playing at the same time. One for the first time viewer and one for the second time viewer. And the magic of it is that you can keep on watching it and find new details in the acting, the cinematography the dialog it all plays together in harmony.

The movie is basically divided by the initial perception and the two mayor subsequent plot twist. The first impression of the movie you get you think it’s going to be a story about, the protagonist, Charlotte getting back to the world of cello and that leaving was extremely traumatic and all she wants is her old life back. We are made to perceive that she envies Lizzie, the new protégé. But in a turn of events actually falls for her and that maybe together they’ll be able to be happy in the hectic cello world. And so they go on vacation where Lizzie gets gravely ill and for a second you question if this is a zombie movie or an apocalyptic virus movie

And that’s where the first plot twist comes along. Charlotte actually drugs Lizzie into making her hallucinate causing her to chop her own arm off. Seemingly to destroy her career and let her have all the spot light. And Lizzie is forced to go back and face the harsh truth that no one wants her without her hand. And thus revealing the final twist. Charlotte was never doing this to destroy Lizzie but to save her. Anton, both their cello mentors and other teachers had been raping them as punishment for not playing correctly. And she knew that like herself Lizzie would be in too deep to see that this was wrong. So this was her way of forcing her to see the real them, their real interest. And they team up to take vengeance on the institution that did this to them and save other girls from having to go through what they did, and in the process achieve Perfection together as one.

9. Andrés González
    201-70-3985
    Catch Me If You Can

The movie, “Catch Me if You Can” (2002) directed by Steven Spielberg, is a crime, drama film based on real life events. Staring Leonardo DiCaprio, as Frank Abagnale Jr and Tom Hanks, as Carl Hanratty. The main character, Frank Abagnale Jr, while in high school runs away from his family after looking to for a way to pay his father’s IRS dept and get his parents back together. In the meantime, he starts passing fake checks that sums up to four million dollars. Along the way he’s posed as a Pan Am pilot, pediatrician, and an attorney. Making the FBI radar detective, Carl Hanratty, begins the chase of this impostor. After serving jail time in France, Frank goes back to the US. FBI gives him a deal helping with fraud cases.

I’m a fan of movies that are based on real events. Mostly because the fact the story is real and prior of those events certain things had to change to me is fascinating. Also, I like the way that Spielberg always has a family scene in his movies that makes it a bit more personal. DiCaprio is one of my favorite actors especially in dramas so that’s a mayor factor in why I picked this movie.

10. “Coraline” is a horror stop motion movie, based on the 2002 novel by Neil Gaiman, directed by Henry Selick. Even though it’s terrifying, it’s considered a PG movie for kids. In Coraline, perfection is merely an illusion. Behind it, horrible nightmares and disturbing beings lurk. It is a story about how a young girl, Coraline, escapes her imperfect reality to a seemingly beautiful and ideal world. Though, it doesn’t take long for her to realize the truth, that this world isn’t perfect, but extremely disturbing, when her ‘Other Parents’ ask to gouge out her eyes to replace them with buttons. This way she would stay there forever and never leave. Coraline is a story of acceptance. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side; we should appreciate what we have instead of dreaming of a perfect but unachievable lie.

I had to wait a few years before I could watch Coraline. My mom didn’t let me watch it when it first came out because she found it disturbing and not suitable for kids, let me remind you it’s a movie based off a kid’s book. After I was able to watch the movie without my mom’s permission, it became one of my favorite horror movies. I still remember my mom’s face when she found out I was watching it. Other than horrific, Coraline is also a beautiful work of art. It is stop motion animation, meaning everything that you see on screen are handmade objects, each were moved bit by bit while snapping a picture. The process is extremely tedious, any small mistake could ruin hours of work. The visuals will keep you entertained even if you don’t what’s happening at the moment, they provide us with a gorgeous color palette and very unique characters — in terms of looks and personality —. The characters are very fun, each of them has a diverse personality, you’ll certainly find one that you’ll love. Aside from the visuals, I feel like the soundtrack never got enough praise; it was composed by Bruno Coulais. The soundtrack feels like a lullaby throughout the movie, sometimes it’s so soothing that it might even become unnoticeable, definitely one of my favorites.

Personally, I don’t find the movie to be super scary. Could I imagine myself in the same situation as Coraline? Absolutely not. I’ve found myself recommending this movie to many people, whether they are horror movie enthusiasts or not. You should think twice before watching this with children, make sure that they don’t get scared easily and can handle slightly disturbing things. Finding movies that are aesthetically beautiful and have a great story a hard to find these days. Everyone should put this movie on their “must watch” list, or at least other movies directed by Henry Selick such as “The Nightmare Before Christmas” or “James and the Giant Peach”.

11. “Coraline” is a horror stop motion movie, based on the 2002 novel by Neil Gaiman, directed by Henry Selick. Even though it’s terrifying, it’s considered a PG movie for kids. In Coraline, perfection is merely an illusion. Behind it, horrible nightmares and disturbing beings lurk. It is a story about how a young girl, Coraline, escapes her imperfect reality to a seemingly beautiful and ideal world. Though, it doesn’t take long for her to realize the truth, that this world isn’t perfect, but extremely disturbing, when her ‘Other Parents’ ask to gouge out her eyes to replace them with buttons. This way she would stay there forever and never leave. Coraline is a story of acceptance. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side; we should appreciate what we have instead of dreaming of a perfect but unachievable lie.

12. Most people aren’t happy and are criticizing The Lion King 2019 movie. They’re comparing it with The Lion King 1994 one and saying that the movie didn’t need a remake. I went to watch the 2019 in 4DX and it was an unforgettable experience. I took my 4 year old niece to see it and it has become one of her favorite movies. I knew what was going to happen but it felt like I was watching it for the first time. The iconic music brought so much nostalgia that I cried listening to The Circle of Life and Can You Feel The Love Tonight. It was amazing to see the cartoons in live action. Right now the 2019 movie is the highest grossing animated film of all time, with the 1994 movie coming in 11th position in this list. They did an exceptional job bringing contemporary actors in 2019. Donald Glover, Seth Rogen, Beyonce, Billy Eichner and so many more.

The story of this masterpiece can resonate with any person at any age. This movie can make you feel all kinds of emotions that not all movies can achieve. The Lion King story has outstanding teachings about life. It teaches about the circle of life, when Simba learns at a young age that death is a part of life. It teaches that there’s evil in this world, even in your own family. It teaches “Hakuna-Matata”, it means no worries for the rest of your days. It also teaches that running away doesn’t solve your problems. In summary, I think it’s one of the best movies ever made because of the story. It doesn’t matter which one you watch, the 1994 or 2019, it’s a movie everyone should see in their lifetime at least once.

13. Im not one to be particularly moved by sci-fi films.Yes, they are visually stunning and tremendously clever but a lot of the time, I find it hard for me to relate to them on an emotional level. The only sci-fi film I have ever felt in sync with at an emotional level is Christopher Nolan’s Interstellar. That being said, its also extremely difficult for me to put into words the emotions that I feel when prompted to even think about Denis Villeneuve’s “Blade Runner; 2049” (2017).

“Blade Runner; 2049” is science fiction film that takes place in a dystopian Los Angeles where synthetic, bio-robotic beings are hunted down by special detective police units called Blade Runners. In it we follow K (played by Ryan Gosling); a rogue Blade Runner unit as he is assigned to a case that leads him on a search for his own identity, questioning his reality and the legitimacy of his own memory. He is hunted down by the goons of Niander Wallace (Jared Leto); an industry-crazed technologist set on colonizing the stars. We watch as “K” confronts various complex characters like Wallace’s right-hand Luv (Sylvia Hœks).The film serves as a warning as to just what could happen if we as a species remain as careless as we are now. As K uncovers secrets about his past, the audience is presented with heavy philosophical questions about what constitutes life and what life has rights.

It just checked all the boxes (for me). This film was visually and audibly outstanding with minimal, more human dialogue and visual details that would reveal just a little bit more about the dystopian future of L.A. The soundtrack, I would say; deserves an entirely different blog post for it. And above all I related to this film and saw this film for what it was; a teaching about oneself and the world.

14. The film titled “Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse” is a cinematic masterpiece. It is a miracle that the Sony company can produce a mediocre movie one year and come with a critically acclaimed movie the next. While it’s not a perfect movie; no movie is; it is without a doubt one of the best, if not the best Spiderman movie to be made. The use of animation, characterization, dialogue and soundtrack make it deserving of all the praise and positive feedback it has received.

The movie describes a young boy named Miles Morales, who attains Spiderman’s powers and learns how to become the hero Brooklyn needs with the help of different Spidermen across the multiverse. This premise alone is enough to reel in a viewer and keep them interested. This film took the pre-established concept of multiple realities and gave it enough dedication and enough thought an effort to make it incredibly unique, memorable, and special. Through its own style, it made a visual experience unlike any other.

The soundtrack for the movie has carefully picked songs that lend themselves to the scene’s atmosphere, while also being incredibly attractive to the ear. The animation style and the way everything moves is amazingly executed and even give cues to character development and behavior. The shots are excently placed in ways that describe the message trying to be conveyed almost perfectly. The use of colors and atmosphere really hit home with either how upbeat or how somber they made the situation seem. The way they built and handcrafted every single important character in the film was just breathtaking and, being honest, a breath of fresh air considering how simple other films make their characters.

In general, four paragraphs aren’t nearly enough to describe and appreciate all of the detail and care that has been put on this masterpiece of a movie. It’s definitely worth wasting five times the amount you would spend watching at the theater just for the sheer charm and amazing energy the movie expels. I highly recommend it to whoever has a deep passion and respect for movies, be it animated or otherwise. It’s a film that really sticks with you for a long time.

15. I finally caved and watched Secret Obsession. A film recently released by Netflix and highly recommended to me by my friends and family. I found it a little surprising to see Brenda Song, being the protagonist of a thriller mystery type of film because I’ve only seen her act on Disney shows back in the early 2000s but surprisingly, she fits the role well.

The film was quite predictable from the beginning. As soon as the film starts, we are already caught in the middle of the action. We see Jennifer (Brenda Song) running away from someone who is trying to harm her. Suddenly in the middle of her escape, she is hit by a car and taken to the hospital by nearby drivers at the scene.

Now, it might be because most Netflix films are clichés or that I just analyze things way too much but, it was pretty obvious to me what the film was about and what was going to happen ever since her husband shows up. You see, the director gives us a few hints of what is going on just by using the camera to focus on a few things. For example, the camera focuses at one point on the husband’s shoes, and if you pay attention to detail, you will notice that they are full of mud and are the same shoes the person who was after her in the beginning was wearing. Still the suspense throughout the film is kept but, I have a habit of ruining films for myself because most times I can figure out was is going to happen before it does.

In my opinion, the film was too predictable, unless that is what the director and writer, Peter Sullivan, wanted to happen. It was obvious from the beginning that Russell was not her husband. Of course, we later find out when Detective Page starts to notice that the information provided to the hospital by Russell is fake. The phone numbers can’t be traced, the address is fake and so on. As I had predicted she finally finds out, as soon as her memory starts to return, that Russell has been lying and is not who she thinks he is. Also, it doesn’t take the detective too long to find out Jennifer’s real identity and along with it, Russell’s. In the end all I could keep thinking was about how he was such a psycho. He tried to kidnap her, ended up getting her into a bad car accident, she loses her memory, he takes advantage of that to make her believe she’s married to him. He also makes sure to kill her parents, husband, lies to her about it, photoshops himself into all the pictures with her husband and then tries to kill the detective and eventually her. All of this just screams psychopath and that part I found quite intriguing. Getting into his mind and how he planned the perfect lie. To see how he was willing to do absolutely anything to have her. It was thrilling but again, so predictable.

I expected to be surprised, at least by the ending but it was all too predictable. To answer the question Do I recommend this film? I do not, unless you like predictable endings. This film is not quality entertainment for someone like me who likes the element of surprise. Even though I’m a sucker for happy endings, the ending in this film was quite disappointing and I expected more from it. However, if you like happy, predictable endings and hate the element of surprise in thriller films, then this one is for you.

16. I will never again enter a movie theater to watch a movie of which I had never even watched the trailer. There are many kinds of movies, and I have realized that I’m a picky person when it comes to movies. I just don’t want to waste my time watching something that I may regret later. The movie that I ended up watching that day at the theaters was Brightburn. At the beginning I had many hopes for the protagonist; of him resulting to have a good heart and good intentions, or of him just not being insanely cruel and heartless. When I realized what kind of movie it was, I immediately wanted to walk out of the movie theater. The story is the exact opposite of Super Man; specifically, Man of Steel, but the evil version. The protagonist was a horrible living being right ‘till the end. I felt sorry for his parents; who adopted him thinking he was a gift that came when their prayers of having a child where heard. Unfortunately, he turned out like the devil himself. He may seem like just a kid, but do not be fooled by his acts.

One of the ideas that this movie plants are that telling someone they’re special since the day they are born is not the best idea; they might understand it in a way like the protagonist did and then hell breaks loose because they think they’re gods or something. During the movie, he thinks he can do whatever he wants with no consequences at all, since he’s “special”. Having powers, unlike other people, makes him believe so even more. Consequently, he just runs loose destroying people’s lives, to then act all innocent.

He never had a good relationship with his parents, because he never expressed his feelings (if he even had those), and he never said much, so you couldn’t know what he was thinking until he acted. Despite that, his parents trusted him and always saw him as his beloved son. All those dark things he did, he did behind their back. He takes humans and other living beings lives as if they where nothing.

I particularly do not like horror movies, although other people would not exactly describe this one as one. Yet, to me it was one hundred percent a horror movie; filled with meaningless actions, an incredibly sad and cruel story, and, as I mentioned, it couldn’t care less about living beings. This movie is also filled with dark emotions, for the characters in it and for the people watching it. I get that some people, for some reason, like bloody scenes; involving humans being killed slowly and horribly for no good reason, but at the same time I don’t understand how people can enjoy watching that. In my opinion, really good movies are the ones that have great meaning, the ones that have a good message and a purpose, ones that may relate to daily life and that have a good balance between good and bad emotions, the ones that everyone would enjoy watching. Nevertheless, I also respect other people’s taste for movies, and if that is what they enjoy watching, then I’ll just let them be. Besides, everyone has their own definitions “good” and “bad”. But, in my case, I would rather not watch anything like that for the rest of my life.

17. I will never again enter a movie theater to watch a movie of which I had never even watched the trailer. There are many kinds of movies, and I have realized that I’m a picky person when it comes to movies. I just don’t want to waste my time watching a movie that I may regret later. The movie that I ended up watching that day at the theaters was Brightburn. At the beginning I had many hopes for the protagonist; of him resulting to have a good heart and good intentions, or of him just not being insanely cruel and heartless. When I realized what kind of movie it was, I immediately wanted to walk out of the movie theater. The story is the exact opposite of Super Man; specifically, Man of Steel, but the evil version. The protagonist was a horrible living being right ‘till the end. I felt sorry for his parents; who adopted him thinking he was a gift that came when their prayers of having a child where heard. Unfortunately, he turned out like the devil himself. He may seem like just a kid, but do not be fooled by his acts.

He never had a good relationship with his parents, because he never expressed his feelings (if he even had those), and he never said much, so you couldn’t know what he was thinking until he acted. Despite that, his parents still trusted him and always saw him as his beloved son. All those dark things he did, he did behind their back. He takes humans and other living beings lives as if they where nothing.

I particularly do not like horror movies, although other people would not exactly describe this one as one. Yet, to me it was one hundred percent a horror movie; filled with meaningless actions, an incredibly sad and cruel story, and, as I mentioned, it couldn’t care less about living beings. This movie is also filled with dark emotions, for the characters in it and for the people watching it. I get that some people, for some reason, like bloody scenes; involving humans being killed slowly and horribly for no good reason, but at the same time I don’t understand how people can enjoy watching that. In my opinion, really good movies are the ones that have great meaning, the ones that have a good message and a purpose, ones that may relate to daily life and that have a good balance between good and bad emotions, the ones that everyone would enjoy watching. However, I also respect other people’s taste for movies, and if that is what they enjoy watching, then I’ll just let them be. Besides, everyone has their own definitions “good” and “bad”. But, in my case, I would rather not watch anything like that for the rest of my life.

18. Toy Story is one of the best animated franchises of all time. The movies were directed by John Lasseter and the story is focused on the childhood of a kid named Andy and his toys, Woody, played by Tom Hanks, Buzz Lightyear, played by Tim Allen, and others. These toys had been in many conflicts where they rescued lost toys that belongs to the kid, all to help the boy make precious memories together. The previous installment, Toy Story 3, ended the story of Andy in a emotional way. He gave his toys to a girl named Bonnie, because he grew up and was ready to go to college. This was considered to be the perfect ending for the franchise, although the latest installment took it beyond.
    Toy Story 4 starts in a sequence that takes place after Toy Story 2 where the main protagonist, Woody and his friends searches for a lost toys in a stormy night. When he rescues the toy, he realizes that Bo Peep, a toy he holds very dear, is going to be donated and taken away from Andy’s home. Then, the movie jumps to the present, where Bonnie now owns the toys that Andy gave her and plays with them, except for Woody and some others. Later on, she goes to school on her first day in kindergarten, the main character decides to slip inside Bonnie’s backpack and accompany her, there she creates a toy using a plastic fork and other materials and named him Forky. She loves him, however, Forky thinks that he is garbage and likes to jump on garbage bins a lot. During a trip to a carnival, Forky jumps out of an rented RV but Woody rescues him and convinces him to stay on Bonnie’s side by saying what he means to the girl. When they arrive at the carnival, Forky is taken by another toy called Gabby Gabby and Woody, along with Buzz Lightyear and the others, was going to do whatever it takes to bring back his friend while encountering some old and new toys along the way.
    One of the concepts Toy Story 4 shows is the importance and meaning toys can have for a kid. This meaning can be applied to any toy that any kid has or created that is very important to him or her. Another concept is to never give up your dreams and always be you, no matter what others think or feel about you. Sometimes, what matters to the children about a toy is that it’s in perfect conditions, but what really is important is their desires. A later scene in the movie shows a toy being rejected by a girl she wished to be with, it was repaired and looked good as new, but nevertheless the girl was not interested by it. They are also good companions because they help comfort a child when he or she feels alone and scared. The last concept shown is that as a toy, you need to let go when a child has no interest in you and live a new life.
    Personally, I don’t cry when I see a scene in a movie that is considered emotional, or at least I do not remember doing so, however, Toy Story 4 really made me shed tears after watching the ending. The movie is beautiful. It is filled with comedy, adventure, sad moments, and last but not least, nostalgia. It also feature a brand new cast, featuring Keanu Reeves as Duke Kaboom, Jordan Peele as Bunny, Keegan-Michael Key as Ducky, etc. Finally, I really recommend you watch this movie, whether you are a Toy Story fan or you are new to this franchise. I guarantee that you will laugh and you will cry, like I did.

19. “The Devil Wears Prada” is one of the few great movies in my life that I can watch countless of times and never get tired of, it became an iconic movie, for me. Yes, it is a chick-flick, but that’s one of the reasons that makes the movie so good. And you may be asking why is it so iconic for me? Well when I was a kid, “The Devil Wears Prada” represented the future for me, the idea of being an independent woman who lives in New York. Which also opened my love for fashion and styling and it enlighten me in the inner workings of the fashion industry. Also it brought light the pressures that the fashion community and society puts on women and how a size 0 or 00 means “skinny” and being a size 4 or 6 means “fat ” in the beauty industry but in reality, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The movie “The Devil Wear Prada” which was released in June 2006, directed by David Frankel who also directed movies like Marley and Me, and The Big Year hasn’t been as active in the movie world, as he was before. The movie was based on a book written by Lauren Weisberger which her experience working as an assistant for Anna Wintour, the editor-in-chief of Vogue Magazine inspired the book “The Devil Wears Prada”. The protagonist is played by Anne Hathaway and Co-starring the amazing Meryl Streep.

The Devil Wears Prada is set in the upper west side aka Manhattan in were we find a simple ordinary but talented woman named Andrea Sachs (played by Anne Hathaway) or Andy freshly graduated with a degree in journalism. Her first job as a journalist was in the prestigious Runway fashion magazine a job that “a million girls would kill for” as one of the assistants to the fashion icon and posh editor-in chief Miranda Priestly (played by Meryl Streep). Little did Andy knew that being an assistant to the cruel and cold Miranda Priestly would be difficult. Working for Miranda made Andy change her simple lifestyle to resemble more like Miranda’s physically and psychologically. Her demanding job and her change in attitude and lifestyle strained her relationships with her friend group and her boyfriend Nate. The new luxurious lifestyles also presented its own temptations like opportunities and unwanted attractions. In the end, Andy learns that a pair of Jimmy Choos does not define her and that making your own decisions and being your own original person is more important.

20. Whenever Christopher Nolan is brought up I always I directly think back to the film that made me see that superheroes movies could be so much more, The Dark Knight. This film was released in summer of 2008 and while at the time I was too young to understand with clarity what was going on, I re-watched when I was a little older and I faced myself with what I call my favorite movie. Growing up I have always liked Batman and all the other superheroes which I continue to love, but when it come to the movies in general these days I feel like nothing very fresh is being done with the modern day superhero films (I still like them and there are great exceptions). While I live in a time where these types of films dominate the market, I still believe that The Dark Knight remains as the gold standard of this genre.
    The dark knight is the continuation of Batman Begins and sets up a story in where Bruce Wayne must face various harmful conflicts for the citizens of Gotham but must also face the the psychological trip that is The Joker. Within this story we also start off with another figure of good in the city, District attorney Harvey Dent who is trying to become mayor and bring peace to the city, his attempts to bring good would be put at a hold as chaos and anarchy fill the streets with the arrival of the new big villain in town. Right from the get-go as someone mentions this film the first topic is the character of the Joker who is portrayed amazingly by the late Heath Ledger. Heath Ledger made this character outshine the hero in every scene his was on and create a legendary performance. While on the topic of acting I believe that the performance of the Joker is so popular that the other actors aren’t being as recognized as much as they should. This film brings great performances from Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Cristian Bale and Aaron Eckhart who does and amazing job as the complex villain Two Face.
    This movie also creates a world that feels genuinely real and makes you wonder if these characters could truly exist in our world. To create this world the director had a vision of a very realistic take on this comic book character, using practical effects and very minimal CGI effects makes the scene we are witnessing feel more real. My favorite aspect of creating the atmosphere of this world is the score, the music composed by Hans Zimmer is one of his best and makes the movie have a whole new level of energy. The Theme of the Joker is definitely my favorite because the music becomes more and more intense as the track goes and I believe this works perfectly with this character.
    When it comes to the cinematography of the movie, it is amazing and creates beautiful scenarios that could be used for a laptop wallpaper. These visuals and the lesser use of green screen compared to today’s films creates and environment that feels real and accessible. While it might seem that I am just praising this film I have some minor problems with it. The biggest yet littlest issue I have with this film is Batman’s voice, while I do understand that he is trying to hide his identity I believe that the way he spoke in the previous film was way better than the way it presented here. Another problem which back then I wouldn’t have bothered is the way the fights are presented; in the recent years I’ve seen have these fights can be taken into very creative aspects but here the fighting seems very basic. While this film has many great aspects and some minor few ones that are as great, this film has an amazing story that deals with themes of morals and what truly is good and evil? Through the film we see how these themes are taken from our world and be put into one that can show them in their most intriguing level. The way that the story in this film feels very personal, showing how the apparent savior of Gotham, city Harvey Dent, can be ripped away from his morals of good and become what he desperately tried to destroy. I could talk about this movie for many hours, but my end point will always be that this is the best superhero movie because it doesn’t focus on the “super “side but the human and imperfect side of a hero.

21. One of my favorite films is ¨The Danish Girl¨. Its well made, strongly acted and gorgeously shot. Set in the 1920s, it tells the story of Einar Wegener, a well-known painter and his wife Gerda Wegener. While Gerda is trying to find her way and in it the model to allow her to express her talent to the fullest, one day the model who was being painted is absent and asks her husband Einar to put on a dress and women’s slippers to advance the painting. The use of women’s wardrobe continues to play, of jokes, of a kind of artistic expression in which Gerda encourages Einar to continue to do so, until she discovers that, for her, things might have gone too far. Einar delves into what at the time, was a character, Lili Wegener, Einar’s cousin, very close to Gerda. This is how Einar is increasingly adopting Lili’s personality, and she suffers from the different forms of rejection from both herself by not being able to express herself freely and from the doctors to what she saw trying to cure her “disease”, from diagnostics of perversion and even radiation therapy on the genitals, which could help cure the so-called “hormonal disorder” that would eradicate Lili’s personality that lived in Einar.

Without a doubt it is a drama of great power full of great emotion in which Eddie Redmayne has an outstanding performance not only for the fact of dressing as a woman, but for showing the psychological suffering of the character, that internal struggle between Einar and Lili and as the feeling of being in a body that is not the right one prompts him to fight against all the vicissitudes that is presented to him, also a mention for Alicia Vikander who is an actress that I greatly admire and who has an admirable performance, in which she demonstrates the commitment to her craft and the drive to help her husband in his transformation.

No doubt, for me, director Tom Hooper knows how to bring stories to the cinema where men break giant walls to overcome their difficulties, just as we saw with the Oscar-winning “The King’s Speech.” On the other hand, Eddie Redmayne and Alicia Vikander’s performances are exceptional. Redmayne had the hard task of overcoming his work in “The Theory of Everything” playing Stephen Hawking and has brilliant moments in the film. Redmayne goes beyond makeup and exaggeration, endowing the character with sensitivity. It may happen that this films classic structure and its pause does not convince many, as well as its almost novelistic style, but it is correct and very well made. Its end is of those the audience hardly forgets because in a way, we too enter the plot and come out of it more open to the realities of self-identity and life.

22. I remember the first time I watched Ocean’s 11 I honestly didn’t know what to expect. All I remember was that I could not take my eyes off of the screen. It has such a powerful cast, that I instantly fell in love with it. I mean, who wouldn’t have? It has Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Matt Damon, Julia Roberts, overall such a talented cast. Ocean’s 11 is not the “original movie” per say, what I mean is, that there was an earlier version of Ocean’s 11 in 1960 which included Frank Sinatra. Ocean’s 11 (2001) does differ from its 1960 version. Some even say it’s better than the original. Which is probably why it, lead to 2 more films continuing the franchise with Ocean’s 12 (2004) & Ocean’s 13 (2007). And an even more recent version, which was a twist to the heavily male cast, Ocean’s 8 (2018).

Personally, I love these types of movies. What movies? Heist movies. Let me explain a little bit what the movie is about. Ocean’s 11 starts off by presenting Daniel Ocean (George Clooney) in a prison hearing, they agreed to let him out on parole. He gets out and the first thing he does is visit Rusty Ryan (Brad Pitt) and tell him about the heist. They present the team (in total 11 members, hence the name Ocean’s 11) that they are going to gather up, showing how each member has a set of skills that will help along the way. The plan is to hit three casinos (The Bellagio, The Mirage, & the MGM Grand) which are all owned by Terry Benedict. Who is currently with Tess (Julia Roberts), Ocean’s ex-wife.

The first time you watch this movie you are just fascinated by the scenes and the acting. Focused on how they actually plan to pull off the heist, that you forget just how off the dialogue actually is (when they are having casual conversations that is.) They did do an excellent job in explaining what and how they were going to do the heist. I like that the movie seems to have an explanation for everything. You’re not necessarily left wondering how was something achieved. For example, they give an explanation to who’s going to be the one giving them access and funds to all the equipment they would need to pull off a job like this. That’s why we firstly see Ocean & Rusty getting Reuben on board. But Reuben did not agree to it “just because he has money”, but because he actually hates Terry Benedict.

We often tend to root for the good guys instead of the bad guys, but this movie makes you think otherwise. Benedict is firstly seen as the victim of Ocean’s 11, but as the movie goes along you get to see that Benedict’s character is actually cocky, arrogant, and money is the only important thing for him (e.g. he picks the money instead of Tess, making you root even more for Ocean and the team). You see throughout the movie how Tess’s character slowly starts to turn on Benedict, since he always seemed to treat her as if she’s not capable of handling things. When this happens, you get so frustrated because you just want her to “open her eyes” already.

The transitions in the film were smooth, and the background music is so delicate, that one kind of doesn’t hear it the first time you watch the movie, because it just goes so well with the scenes. What I absolutely love about this film is that, of course, you know that it’s a movie and they’re not going to get caught. Somehow, they still managed to impeccably deliver that tension of “are they gonna get caught right now or not?” That nail biting tension is there, even after you watch the movie several times. The acting, the cast, the sets, the lights, the shots, the plot, overall it’s such a great film in every aspect. I see Ocean’s 11 as a true Hollywood movie. There is no way everything that happened would be possible in real life, but with Hollywood anything is possible. With this movie, it lets you live a money fantasy.

23. Hot out of his critically acclaimed directorial debut, Hereditary, Ari Aster looks to shock audiences yet again with his particular artistic flavor. Just like the previous entry in his film catalogue, Midsommar is a film with a lot of industry buzz, premiering at mayor Film Festivals and gaining positive reception from critics. However, Hereditary did not connect with the mass audiences, earning a D+ Cinemascore, a website that measures how audiences think about a particular movie. Is this movie the one that’s going to connect with both critics and audiences? It perhaps might, but did it connect with me? Yes and no.

Midsommar revolves around a failing couple that go to Sweden, to a midsummer celebration for a thesis investigation. What awaits for them is a disturbing time there, when they are slowly becoming a part of the place’s gruesome traditions. Florence Pugh shines as the main character Dani and carries this movie with a surprisingly raw and realistic performance of a person who is struggling the tragic passing of loved ones. Her relationship with her distant boyfriend Christian, played by Jack Reynor, felt very real with problems that couples face that aren’t usually presented in movies. With this particular plot point I could see what was an important sign in understanding how Ari Aster has grown as a filmmaker in only just one movie. This is because in Hereditary I felt the movie was more skeptical than story, but here it was still a visual and real, but you could feel more dramatic story arcs in the plot.
    The overall story sucked you in wanting to know what the heck was going on, but that, at times, was the only thing keeping me in my seat. The middle part of the movie just dragged on for way to long setting things up for the final 30 minutes of the movie. Besides that, it was also very disturbing to watch, making me wish I had a fast forward button to skip over the boring and shocking stuff that was happening. I saw various people in my theater walk out or get on their phones, meaning that this movie is probably not for everyone. Although it was boring at time, I could appreciate the slow but sure traditional story elements and plot structures that led to the ending of the movie. I felt a sort of satisfaction seeing how Dani evolves, it was either that or the feeling that I completed a movie that sometimes felt like a chore to watch.

Ari Aster has greatly improved as filmmaker, but still has room to grow. His particular style limits his audience to a small niche, even I had trouble watching the movie. However he has a small but passionate “art couture” fanbase that really like the story he makes. I don’t think he’s going to change his style to bring in larger audiences and he really doesn’t need to do that. Filmmakers should be able to do any film they want to, but Aster must then be ok with people just streaming his movie to fast forward what most times felt like a boring and slow movie.

24. I have been a fan of Quentin Tarantino movies ever since Reservoir Dogs. The way he tells stories, the cinematography, gritty dialogue, suspenseful moments, and wacky and over the top portrayal of violence and blood. His movies are just great works of art. Some people don’t like his movies because they are not “realistic” and they’re just silly movies but that what makes him stand out. He’s not your typical Hollywood director, a lot of people say he’s crazy but he’s really a genius and a professional at what he’s doing. But that’s my opinion. One of his movies that I love and really caught my attention and still watch it to this day is Django Unchained.

Django Unchained takes place in the southern part of the United States in 1858, where slavery was still a thing. Doctor King Schultz, retired dentist and now bounty hunter is on the search for a slave that goes by the name of Django so that he finds his former slave owners, The Brittle Brothers, execute them and later, make Django a free man. He finds him but Django says to Schultz that he wants to find his wife, Broomhilda, and make her free as well. The journey of these two gentlemen will long and weary in the search for Broomhilda but they will do whatever it takes. They go from state to state in the search for plantation houses to find the Brittle Brothers and Broomhilda. Django loves the idea of going into the bounty hunting business and partners up with Schultz. I don’t want to spoil nothing of the movie but it is a great flick.

I love how, right in the first scene, gets your attention and makes you want to know what happens next. All of the actors performances are second to none, close up shots, cinematography, action sequences makes you grab the edge of your seats. The backstory of each character makes you understand why are they the way they are, their motives and you seem to have some sort of connection and empathy towards certain and characters and also have hate towards others. Watching this movie so many times I always think that there is a message behind it. The sympathy of Schultz helping Django to get Broomhilda and making her a free woman and the motivation in Django finding the love of his life. I think the message, to me, is to help others and fight to get what’s yours and keep going forward. Do I recommend this movie? Absolutely. But don’t take my word for it. Not everybody will like this movie but you should definitely give this movie a try and some of other Tarantino’s films.

25. It’s no question that StarWars had become a phenomenon in the world of science fiction movies, spanning over 8 films, tons of shows and many comics/books/novels that fans still enjoy to this day, and to think that George Lucas, the creator of the franchise, believed that it wouldn’t be much of a success back in the filming of a New Hope in 1977. Truly, this franchise has touched many hearts throughout the years, as it did mine as well, and when I was told that Disney had bought the rights of Lucasfilm, the production company behind StarWars, I was very happy, hoping to see more of my favorite science fiction franchise and see what Disney can do with their vast resources with the franchise. In 2015, Disney released the first StarWars movie after a decade before the last one, this one was called “The Force Awakens” which featured the main cast of the original (well most of them anyways), along with fresh new faces to kickstart a new saga. While the movie itself was very fun and exciting, it’s writing was off for me, making decisions that seemed a bit rushed, such as Rey’s sudden growth in power without any required training, and many copied ideas from a New Hope; but at the time I simply saw it as a way to pander to the old fans, who enjoyed the Original Trilogy at heart. The Last Jedi soon came out in December 2017, with much anticipation and even I was excited, but boy was I in for a plethora of disappointment. Not only did the movie tried it’s best to destroy what the Original Trilogy had left behind, it mocked it, in terms of characters, story telling and made the ending of Return of the Jedi utterly pointless.

Don’t get me wrong, the actors did a wonderful job at what they did, with even Adam Driver, the actor of Kylo Ren/Ben Solo, being my favorite of the film by far. But outside of that, the story got very odd, with it splitting into 3 mini stories that were way too far apart to bring any significance to it, such as when Finn and Rose go to a casino on an unnamed world to look for a “master codebreaker” that will help the Resistance Fleet escape the First Order, but in the end it became pointless, they only managed to find a “codebreaker” by conveniently being in a cell with one, along that at the end of their mini story, the whole point of their mission was proven.. well, pointless because ship gets disabled anyways. By far the biggest complaint I had was definitely the portrayal of Luke Skywalker, as even Mark Hamill states that he didn’t enjoy that Luke was a very pessimistic and grouchy character, even letting his own family die in a war even though back in his youth, he risked everything to save his sister, his best friend and even his own father, Darth Vader, who many believed was irredeemable, but he still held on to hope that his father was still a good man, and in the end it paid off; while in the Last Jedi, Luke begins to see visions of Ben Solo’s future and even considered striking him down, which to me made no sense since he was, not only his student, but also his nephew, the son of his sister and his best friend, so really they did a disservice to the character, taking one of the most beloved characters from the franchise and making him into an old hermit that just wants to be alone and die alone.

All in all, the movie isn’t horrible for the average movie fan, as long as their expectation for story telling isn’t too high and they just wish to live the magic of the franchise once more, which is completely fine to do, but to me and many StarWars fan, it was a mess and it single handedly almost ruined the saga in it’s second movie. Right now, we are waiting for the upcoming Episode 9 and I still have hope that they can fix the problems that were brought by the 8th movie, maybe I’ll even love it just like the Original and the Prequels. StarWars means a lot to many people around the world and I can only hope that with enough care and writing prowess, the saga can end in a good way and the many fans will be happy with what we got, even if he had to take a nasty trip down the way and bear with the mess that was the Last Jedi.