Second Film Comment

I finally had the opportunity to watch Darren Aronofsky’s The Black Swan. In fact after watching it twice, I confirmed that I had understood well what the film was trying to say. Before watching this film, you should read about The Black Swan ballet because it will provide many clues about what is happening.

Most people have focused on the lesbian scene, which lasts only a few seconds, and not on this ballerina’s gradual descent into madness. The main character, Nina (Natalie Portman), is a perfectionist who has been overprotected by her mother. She is twenty-eight-does not seem to have any romantic liaisons , or other interests besides her career. Because her dancing technique is so perfect, her teacher Thomas Leroy (Vincent Cassel) thinks that she would be the perfect white swan, but that she lacks the passion to become the black swan. That established, we see how her sexual repression, her family situation, and her rivalries with other dancers affect her. As she becomes more unstable, we see her becoming the black swan, but losing her life in the process.

A deeper look into the story will uncover what I think is the most disturbing situation. Is the ballerina’s sexual repression caused by her mother’s sexual abuse? The film provides much evidence that would point to this possibility.

If you like “feel good”movies, don’t watch this one. This is by far the best film this year in terms of its thought-provoking story, originality, performances, and cinematography. It’s simply outstanding. Natalie Portman truly deserved her Oscar for best performance, she gave it her all. I give this film a thumbs up.