Both the film Slumdog Millionaire and the novel Q & A use the questions asked during the show Who Wants to Be a Millionaire as a means of telling Jamal’s story. How does Jamal’s story change in the film? How effective do you thing the changes are? Which story did you like best?
Though the story Memento Mori and the film Memento both deal with a character (Earl/Lenny) who has anterograde amnesia. How does each deal with the fact that the main character wants to take revenge on his wife’s killer. How does Chris Nolan adapt his brother’s story? What elements does he take from the story?
The final video is your final exam. It is worth 100 pts. To hand in your video you can:
1. upload to youtube, Vimeo, Google Drive, Dropbox or other and send me the http address. Be sure not to make the video private because I won’t be able to see it.
2. Bring it in a USB drive and I will copy to my computer.
3. Bring on a disc, clearly labeled with your name.
4. If using other devices, you may bring the device with you to the office so that I can see it.
DO NOT send through e-mail, video documents are too large and my e-mail account won’t receive them.
The final video should be:
1. Three minutes long
2. Review a film that you liked or disliked
3. Have a title page that includes your name and the film’s title
4. Include clips and photographs of the film to enhance your presentation
5. You may work with a partner (only two people in the group) or by yourself
6. After you record, remember to save the film as a movie because if not I won’t be able to see it and you’ll have to bring the computer to my office so that I can see your work.
You may hand in your work on the established dates and hours in the calendar in my office BN445 if you are handing in the work in person. If you upload your video to YouTube, Vimeo, Dropbox or other you don’t need to come to my office, but be sure to hand in your work by these dates and check your e-mail during those days in case I have problems watching your video.
Here are some videos which might help you with your work.
For the second essay you have a choice of writing about Gattaca or about Interview with the Vampire. The essay is due after we discuss both readings on the day of the second test.
- Vincent, Jerome, Irene and Anton faced ethical dilemmas due to living in a society where genetic manipulation is the norm and where individuals lacking the accepted genetic components are labeled de-generate and in-valid. How did each cope with his/her dilemma and what do their decisions have to say about the society they live in? How did Vincent’s decision not to follow the rules affect each of the characters?
- Louis, Lestat, Claudia and Armand are each searching for love and spiritual fulfillment through their relationships. What is each character’s view of love? Do their “love” relationships fulfill their expectations? Why or why not?